Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner

Borealis Flume

18K views 51 replies 28 participants last post by  majorjake 
#1 ·
Any thoughts or info on the recently revealed Borealis Flume? I'm considering ditching my Fatboy for one.
The Flume

#40 ·
i just picked up my Flume late last month, and haven't had more than a passing chance to ride it due to working 60 hours a week and prepping for a move this weekend. hoping to really get out there in June.

i'm really liking the 120tpi Bud/Lou combo that's set up tubeless. my only other experience has been a set of BFL's on a Mongoose Beast that was my first ultra cheap foray into Fat.

so far my biggest frustration is finding a good frame bag to fit the frame's low top tube. anyone have a suggestion? i've been thinking that a 9:Zero:7 frame bag might fit.

Here's a pic from just after unboxing.

Tire Wheel Bicycle wheel rim Bicycle tire Bicycle fork

#9 ·
Not so sure the 15" chainstay thing is the ticket for soft conditions. Haven't really seen any good evidence of that out in actual soft conditions around here. I like short chainstays as much as the next on most of my bikes, but this has gotten kind of overblown too.

#13 ·
I can say with 5 minutes of research, the Farley 7 is the same price as the Flume with bluto. Yes the CS is .6 of an inch shorter (when adjusted to run a 5" tire they are identical), but the brakes are a down spec and it has a ridged fork, the carbon fork version of the flume is $200 less. And if your concerned about color, it's Plume Crazy Purple

#15 ·
The FR80s rock, one strip of 75mm tubeless tape (supplied) and you're tubeless. Haven't tried making the Mulefuts tubeless but they are a tight fit and so they should fit up ok. Yup definitely better tire spec, work a deal with your LBS, they can probably make you happy for much less cost than adding a Bluto to the Farley.

#17 ·
I Just picked up mine today. The frame finish is fantastic. Sanded welds look sweet. I tested quite a few and really liked this one. Really like the build, felt light in handling, stand over for a guy with a short inseam. Decided to go with the bluto. My only concern is if the Borealis rims can be made tubeless or not. Bicycle tire Tire Wheel Bicycle frame Bicycle wheel rim

#28 ·
I'd really like to know if anyone has setup the turnagain rims tubeless. I switched my tiers out to Dillinger 5's studded yesterday and contemplated going tubeless but never set it up before. seemed to me like the tires fit too loose on the rim to have it work properly. Anyone else have any success doing it?

#29 ·
My local bike store told me they have done it BUT they changed my rims from the Turnagin FR80 to FR80 FTD (fat tubeless design) so I am not sure if they meant that they could with the regular or the new rims. I bought D5s along with my new bike and they were telling me that despite the fact that D5s are not "tubeless ready" they have done them in the past.

Initially, I was very confused by why the bike was being sold for a little more than MSRP (Alaska "tax" perhaps?) especially because the Borealis website doesn't even mention the FTD rims as being an option that you can buy! It is hard to find any information about these rims on the net but this article sheds a little light on the situation.

My FTD rims did comes with new valves and rim strips (supposedly that is all they need) and the guy at the shop showed me the difference between the two rims. They are indeed different. They also told me that Borealis gives them a ton of options to customize their orders (as opposed to the website which seemingly gives very little in the way of options for complete builds). It may be that they are freshly released to the public and they haven't got around to being reviewed yet or released for general sale. They are very nice and I will take some pictures of them when I get home later and post them here. I plan on moving to tubeless when I put on the Summer tires in a few months.

#31 ·
Seriously considering this bike, pretty well down to the Flume or the 9:zero:7
alloy, both on sale now with pluses and minuses for both.

FLUME: What I like, X11 GX drivetrain with the new 325 gram 1175 cassette,
carbon post and bars (and right size bar for me) carbon fork under 600 grams
included, or for $200 more a Bluto, tough call and dilemma for me.....
they will do their 100 mm tubeless rims free, along with Bud/Lou for additional
$140. So $1900 with some upgraded rims and tires, free ship, no tax.

Not real big on the orange, but could grow on me, their black is ok,
no standout. The rear wheel mounting system is of some concern,
owners here have shown no concern, so jury out on that.

9:ZERO: I like the frame with the standard rear wheel mounting,
the green color is nice, Mulefut rims as a $200 upgrade, that I would do,
standard JJ 26X4.0 tires. $1600 w/Mulefut.

Dislikes: no carbon fork standard, $450 upgrade if 9zero7 carbon fork,
not X11, post and bar alum, not carbon. With carbon fork upgrade cost
goes to $2150, $250 more than Flume.....and still 2X10.
Could get a Framed Carbon fork for $268 to match Flume cost, but
then I am looking at buying a purple 9zero7 frame set for the blow out price of $450, add Framed carbon fork, and use the balance of $1100 for components......

I am leaning towards the Flume.....

#32 ·
I support 9Zero7, they are a great company and have a great product. I bought the Flume (with Bluto) and love it. I did so because it narrowly won out on a few things that I like on it more than the comparably built 907. Either bike will serve you well. In the end, I recommend going with your gut because you'll probably be happier.

#33 ·
Yes, I like to support small companies, over mega companies.

A main attraction for both bikes is the lower stand over height,
so many running around with foot long posts to get into a too
small frame to get that lower stand over height. I need a 20/21"
frame and these frames give me that little bit extra that makes a
big difference to me.

I have a email into GW at 9zero7 to do a comparable build up to the
Flume and awaiting that quote.

What exactly made you go with the Flume ?

#34 ·
The 1x11 cassette, the carbon seat post and bar, and the color. I also didn't want to wait 2+ weeks for the next shipment to come in as the other LBS had the Flume I wanted in stock. If they had the right build in stock I might have bought a 907 just because I live in Alaska, really respect the shop/builder and liked the bikes. They (907) are great bikes. So is th Flume and I have had no regrets (other than they droped ~$500 7 weeks after I bought mine).

#35 ·
Bicycle tire Bicycle wheel Tire Wheel Bicycle frame
I have a Black Flume set up with a Bluto, 80mm MuleFut wheels and Shimano M8000 1 x 11. I love it. My goal was an affordable alum frame with the new generation hub compatibility (i.e. 150/197). Handling is nimble - a bit more weight on the front than my previous bike (same stem, bars, seat post) I see that as good for cornering. It's so easy to throw around. In regards to any issues in deep snow, I haven't noticed that. I do have issues with my tires (Vee Tire Snow Shoes from my old bike). Will make a change for next winter (likely Bud/Lou). Bought a set of 65mm wheels from Borealis, going with some 4" grippy tires for the summer. My two 29er's hanging on the wall might be history. This bike is fun!

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.