Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner

Wicked Ride of the East 10/25

4K views 33 replies 16 participants last post by  adumb 
#1 ·
The unmpteenth annual Wicked Ride of the east is Sunday 10/25 @ Harold Parker SF, Andover MA. Marked loops for all abilities. Vendors, demos and fun for all. Plus wicked awesome chili :)

#2 ·
More like the wicked walk of the east for me. Some (most) of the tech sections are way above my skill level. Even so, I always have a good time and the volunteers put on a great event. Everyone in the area should try the wicked ride at least once.

#13 ·
Be ready for crowds. Last year the first couple miles were absolutely littered with bodies and bikes. I passed a couple of spots where bike patrol was tending to injuries which slowed things down some.

Obviously, the wicked ride wouldn't be the wicked ride if hundreds of people didn't show up, but technical trails + huge crowds = slow riding.

This is not a knock against the event. It's probably Nemba's second-best annual event, right up there with Nembafest. Wicked Ride is just a unique 25 mile party/ride that you can't really blow through at your own consistent pace, and you'll probably have more fun if your expectations are aligned with this reality.

But honestly - go. It's a blast.

#19 ·
This sounds fantastic and I'm looking to attend for my first time. I'll be heading up on my own so I won't know anyone. Any other first timers or solo riders interested in partnering up at the event? Maybe we could form our own small group :)

I can be texted at 978-310-1077.

Thanks.

Jeff
48yrs
Still riding rigid (for now)
1991 Bridgestone MB-2
The route will be arrowed and there are led group rides. See more on the NS Nemba FB page.

#17 ·
Please help us and you out by not parking in the Jenkins lot. The campground gate will open at 8 AM or shortly thereafter. There is plenty of room, you will be closer to event central, and other park patrons will have somewhere to park. If you have a large vehicle or trailer, there are good spots in the campground. Just ask some of the parking crew if you need help.

Vendor details

#23 ·
i noticed that there are group led rides and also you can go out on your own. Is there a certain time they open up the course or can i show up at 8am and ride?

also, will there be any water stops along the way. if i can carry one less water bottle that would make me a happy camper.

#25 ·
Registration opens at 9. Usually they are set up a few minutes before that. I was riding the west side this morning and it was already arrowed. Looks like the intermediate route may be toned down a little from last year. Unless I was really riding the beginner loop :). No water stops, but the west of Jenkins Road loop is first so when the route crosses Jenkins to head to the east side, you could detour back to the campground and grab a second bottle from your car and then head back out.

#24 ·
I'm one of the ride leaders for the 9:15 Fast / Hammer ride. Looks like rain in the forecast. Ugh. If you're riding, and it is slick out there, exercise caution!! Reduce tire pressure a tad, and bring your biggest bike. I was planning on rolling with the single speed,but if it is wet out, I'm taking my full suspension 29er with the 41mm superwide rims and monster tires.

#26 ·
wow that place was crazy. I have never been before. I did the advanced loop which ended up being just under 22 miles. The second half for me was much more rideable. I could have been more warmed up but I found the super steep rooty rocky hills in the begining a little tricky. When you have never seen the stuff before you don't really know which line to take. I could have tried alot of it again and probably made it but i would of ended up being out there for five hours.

I am no stranger to being in the saddle for long periods of time but those 22 miles for me was probably the hardest 22 miles I have done. The roots and rocks just kept on coming. I will definatly be back next year. Hopefully it will be a little drier. If I can remember Some beefy tires would help a ton out there. The advanced loop took me 3hr 25 min.

I Saw some serious bike carnage. Not sure if anyone broke anything but definatly some people getting caught up in it trying to clean some stuff and throwing there bikes away in spectacular fashion. I figure getting out without being hurt and my bike still in one piece is a success. If I was to ride there more often I think a single speed would be best. I can't believe my derailleur made it out alive.

#27 · (Edited)
I second that wow......first trip to Harold Parker for me too.......the terrain definitely was challenging....just as the early posters on the thread had said.....lots of people down throughout the ride......I was one of them when my bar clipped a tree at speed.....I was amazed at how many people were riding with the early wet conditions....went on the ride led by Danny Streeter.....he did a great job and offered advance notice of especially tricky areas.........ended up going on 2 more loops near the lakes as plenty of people were heading home after 3pm.....vibe at the festival was really welcoming and fun.......got to demo a Santa Cruz 5010 and a Specialized Stumpjumper 27.5 Plus from Belmont WheelWorks.....and a Cannondale Habit from the Cannondale territory rep.....his personnel bike! The trials show by the JRA Team was interesting to watch and marvel at their riding ability...... Enjoyed the chili and walked away with some giveaways: a Wicked Ride of the East T shirt and a Cannondale beer stein. Thank you to NEMBA and the local chapter(North Shore?) for putting the whole day together.

Attachments

#28 ·
Hi guys - glad you enjoyed the ride. It is definitely a fun place to ride - I have been riding there for 15 years and I always have to bring the A game. Today's conditions were extra challenging due to the wet rocks - there were a lot of sections I normally make that were challenging and needed a second go to clear. As a ride leader, I'd say that the advantage of going on a led ride is that the ride leaders are familiar with the terrain and can show you how to clean the lines. If you did it again and had someone show you the right lines you wouldn't be nearly as tired! For instance, at the end of the ride, it is totally non-intuitive to take the line to the left to clear all the off camber rocks. And I saw lots of people taking the wrong lines everywhere - I've made all those mistakes and attempted to offer some help about the right lines to our group. It is great terrain on a singlespeed if you are strong and confident and know the lines. Today may not have been the best day for it, although at times I was wishing I had brought mine. Regarding tires for HP if you do it next year, some of my crew is running the Specialized Butcher and whatever it's matching companion is and I'm running the On-One Chunky Monkey and Smorgasbord. They can only be special ordered from the UK but they are the perfect large volume tire when things are slick like today. Normally they are a tad overkill, though.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

#30 ·
I missed it unfortunately but would love give the advanced loop a go. Could anyone direct me to details of where to park, the trailhead location - maybe a map if one exists?

#31 ·
Go to the end of Harold Parker rd, park in dirt lot. Try the Nemba forums, places to ride. In our NS chapter, there should be one of our wicked ride maps. From that dirt lot, pedal past the wooden fence, go less than 50 ft look for a trail entrance on the rt, should have yellow triangles to mark the salem pond loop. Bring yur big boy pants. And explore from there.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.