Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner

Fly Team Ti 26er, 2nd time around...

2K views 7 replies 3 participants last post by  tk1971 
#1 ·
So, I'm feeling envious at my brother in law for picking up a gorgeous 96 Litespeed (w/ Lynskey decal). I decided to "look".

Ended up placing a bid and picked up a 09 Fly Team Ti 26er. Overall condition of the bike is good. Hardly ridden for an 09. Of course the Avid Ultimates are completely seized up and useless (due to brake fluid break-down). But everything else looked good.

I'm only keeping the wheelset (how are the Vueltas?), FSA K-Force Light carbon crankset (new XT BB), headset (new bearings), XTR 9-spd 12-34t cassette and chain (measured less than 0.5 of stretch).

My latest builds have all been 1x with friction shifting, so this will be a 1x9 with a 28t steel chain ring up front with a BBG bashguard and an N-Gear Jump stop.

I also wanted to utilize a clutch type rear derailleur, so in order to have enough cable pull with a Suntour Mighty Thumb Shifter (friction... baby!), I'm using a Problem Solvers Travel Agent to double the cable throw.

Oh yeah, forgot to mention, I want beefy tires, so I'm sporting 2.35 Kenda Nevegal Stick-E up front and a 2.35 Nevegal DTC in the back.

This bike is intended to be the "Anti" of my other Titanium Drop-bar converted bike with 1.95 tires and 80mm fork, so, I slapped on a 130mm Dual Air RS Revelation.

Topping it off with a Thomson seatpost / clamp, and for comfort, a Brooks C15 saddle.

On with the pictures:

67.5 degree head angle. Weighs 23.5 lbs. Should be a fun ride. Can't wait to try it out.

See less See more
#2 ·
Nice build up.

Have you ever tried a NW chain ring? You probably could lose the chain minder if you did.

I have my 29er down to 24lb10oz with a set of Stans Crest wheels. Bicycle accessory Bicycle wheel rim Bicycle tire Machine Bicycle

1x10 with a Race Face 32t NW chain ring + 11-40 Praxis Works cassette.

#3 ·
Nice build up.

Have you ever tried a NW chain ring? You probably could lose the chain minder if you did.

I have my 29er down to 24lb10oz with a set of Stans Crest wheels. View attachment 1008523

1x10 with a Race Face 32t NW chain ring + 11-40 Praxis Works cassette.
I have installed both Race Face and Blackspire NW chainrings on my other bikes. They work just fine.

The key to this build was that I wanted to go 28t up front, that way I can use my 12-34t cassette. It'll be a shame not to use this nice / light XTR cassette.

Cost-wise, it'll cost $45 for a NW. The bashguard was $18, the N-Gear was $10, while the Truvativ steel 28t was $11.13.

On my Giant Reign (1x10), I have a OneUp 42 and an indexed XTR shifter, which doesn't work particularly well with a couple of the gears (easy to shift in, but not as easy to shift out of a few).

That was the inspiration for me to try out friction shifting. Friction allows very fine control of my shifting, so the next time I work on the Reign, I'll swap it out to a friction shifter.

#8 ·
Ride report:

Climbs great. Very quick and efficient. I'm used to slack head angles, so everything was predictable.

Going down was a blast. At no time did I feel like I was losing control. Once again the head angle helped in this regard.

I did have to move the seatpost up slightly and slide the seat back. The handle bar angle was also adjusted, along with the brake levers and the single shifter.

Brooks saddle did a great job keeping my butt comfortable.

I really like this bike.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.