Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner

Mountainbike Bogota

2K views 2 replies 3 participants last post by  Dr. Paul Proteus 
#1 ·
Hi guys,

espanol mas abajo.

I am moving to Bogotá for two years as of August and just thinking about whether to take my Enduro bike with me or not. I am looking for other people in the area who also mountainbike and looking for riding partners. also if you have any info on the possibilities in the area I would be really happy. thanks for all the advice and help.

--- espanol ---

hola chicos,

me voy a mudar a bogota por dos anos o mas en agosto. estoy buscando a gente que tambien andan haciendo mountainbike o enduro para juntarme. no se muy bien la situacion de posibilidades y del tema de la seguridad y por eso me gustaria conocer a otros que tambien le gusta andar en enduro. ademas si tienen un poco de informacion sobre las posibilidades y rutas cerca a bogotá me ayudaría mucho como todavia no estoy seguro si llevar mi bici o no.
muchas gracias!

Sören

See less See more
#2 ·
Definitely bring your bike. I'm strictly a XC rider, but there's lots of really hardcore trails in the Bogota area with plenty of drops and rock gardens I can barely walk down. Most are best ridden in a group (bike theft is not rare around these parts). But there's surely enough to make it worth your while. I've seen plenty of trails I wouldn't dare venture into. In terms of gradients anything under 8% is considered mild. Plenty to routes to drop down from 9.5k ft to 4k ft or up to 12k ft, and plenty of guys who like taking the short way down. Avianca checks a bike box as a regular luggage (actually sport luggage that takes up one of your two bag allowance) and customs shouldn't be a problem as long as the bike doesn't look too new. There's also a MTB park nearby and even a really rough XC course with steady 15% plus gradients in one of the big parks (Parque Nacional) near the city center (bike theft is a big problem there though), where the Enduro guys will huck road gaps and wooden steps while I'm just focused on trying to get through the skinnies.

Here's the Parque Nacional XC loop (none of these guys look particularly good, but the trail is well featured):

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.