Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner

29+ in AZ, thoughts?

2K views 22 replies 11 participants last post by  munstro 
#1 ·
I've seen a couple of fat bikes on trail, but have never been interested. However, with the advent of the 29+, my interest is more piqued.

More specifically, the new Trek Stache seems to tick all my boxes: relatively slack, super-short rear, not too heavy and I can run it geared or SS.

This would be a secondary/backup bike and I'd probably be more inclined to run single speed.

Any of you guys running a 29+ successfully on our Phx trails and wish to share insight? Thanks much.

#2 ·
i've been in the AZ FatBike FB group, the MTBR Fat forum, and Fat Bike Trader on FB a lot lately as I just finished some major conversions on my fatty. I learned a lot just by following all teh groups for a few weeks, so if you havent, do some exploring over in those.

I think FatBikes, and in this case...semi-fat? 29ers are really breaking new ground. Not sure its all good ground, but its new and opinions are everywhere. You dont just buy a fat bike anymore -- you can look at full and front suspension, 3-4-5inch tires, etc. Prices can get to $5k. New gear and more expensive gear have dramatically changed what you can expect from a fatty. My buddy just bought one that is hardtail, 1-10, carbon, sub 30 lbs.

I took my now-33lb 1x9 fatbike out to Desert Trails last week, and it kinda sucked. Amazing grip on berms, could roll over a lot of loose stuff and climb well, but geo and handling were terrible. I think your 29er+ would be along that curve, where you would expect it to be -- not as fast as a 29er, not as slow as a 4-5inch bike, more trail handling then a fat bike but grip somewhere in between. That's what I've been finding in my fatty and the other carbon one I tried -- they kinda come in the performance curve where you expect them to be. Make sense?

Price-wise, all the same rules apply. The $1000 fatbikes have crap components, tires and wheels. The $2k ones have nicer kits, suspension and carbon drives up the price.

Not exactly specific advice on your question, but hopefully some perspective after having mine for ~3 yrs and just upgrading it significantly.

#3 ·
I THINK that the semi-fat 29+ bikes I'm interested in are pretty radically different from a true fat bike. As I understand it and how it felt on a parking lot test, the semi-fat is more of a traditional 29er that has room for a 3-inch tire.

I can't tell if it's just marketing or it's something that could actually work well in our conditions. Curious is anyone is rocking one as I don't think I've seen one on trail.

#10 ·
(qualifier: enjoying beer tonight)

Are you looking for a complete bike? Rigid or suspension up front?

I'm curious why you don't just get another Raijin with one of the carbon 29+ compatible forks (carver,whiskey, etc.)?

Given your riding preferences I would think that chubby rear end would be tiresome on the ups. Do you want/need more than 2.4 out back?

FWIW I'm a cheap skeptic. I've got a great VerHauen that I recently paired to a custom steel fork. The fork is 29+ friendly and cheaper than most of the carbon offerings. I haven't dabbled in the 29+ yet, waiting for that opportune time and the evidence to justify it. I love the fork for Prescott, not sure I could have it as my everyday rig in your country.

In the end I have no answers for you but I have some similar interests (and questions) that hopefully will help you find a fun bike.

#11 ·
I'm not really into the rigid aspect. I'm game to try it again, but I don't think it's for me. I loved the Raijin, but I can buy a complete new Stache for just a couple bucks more than a used Ti frame.

I don't KNOW that I want or need more than a 2.4 tire. I got mostly locked into the Stache because of fitment and the geo more so than the tire size. The geometry on that thing is dialed. And I can run it SS, which would likely ultimately how I would do it.

It's NOT a primary bike. The purpose is a backup to my fully and something to ride on more mellow stuff on the days I don't want to do a bunch of hacked-up terrain.

#12 ·
My two cents on Fatties.

I have have been riding a Salsa Beargrease XX1 as my primary bike for 4 months now. It is set-up tubless with 4 inch Dillinger Tires and a rigid carbon fork -- bike weighs in around 26lbs. I ride mostly t100, Desert Classic, North/South Sonoran, Cave Creek and ridden BCT as well.

The bike is a blast. Because of the bigger contact patch of the tires, it is confidence inspiring on technical downhills and it shines on loose rocks over hardpack -- both climbing and and going downhill. I've been able to clear climbs that I never had before on my SS Niner or FS 29er. Downhill, the traction is there when you lean into corners and it literally floats over the chunky stuff.

Now for the downside -- yes, there is more rotational weight on the stock wheels and as a result you it takes a bit more effort to get rolling. But once it does, it sails. When I bought the bike at the Pig, I was really debating whether or not I needed a suspension fork. Eric talked me out of it and I'm glad he did. Because of the bigger tire volume that can be run at low PSI (I'm running 8.5psi f/r) I have enough cush for 98% of the riding that I do.

As for your question on the 29+, I have been looking into building up a 29+ or 27.5+ wheelset for the summer. I am leaning more towards a 27.5x3.25 vs. 29x3.0 wheelset only because I don't want to dramatically increase the BB height.

The geo on my Fatty is more like a 29er HT vs. a traditional Fat Bike. It's my go to ride most of the time and I seem to do OK on my group rides and Strava.

Long story short, I say go for it. I think you'll love it.

tony

#14 ·
Tire wear is pretty decent so far on the Dillingers. ~400 miles or so on mine -- front around 75% life and rear is at around 50% life left. I've had zero issues with tears, stans leaks and I do ride some pretty sharp rocky sections at PMP.

I picked up replacement new/take-off pair Dillinger 4s off Fat Bike Trader Facebook page for $130 and have found pretty decent deals on the Panaracer FatB Nimble 120tpi folding tires on ebay for around $60 each which is not bad in my opinion.

#16 ·
I have a Ti truss fork on my SS that on occasion I run a 29" 3.0 Knard set up tubeless on a P35 wheel. Grip is really good, but tire pressure is key. When climbing rough stuff, it is work. When riding in / out of technical corners it can be work. Once rolling on flats and rollers, it just motors.

BTW - my frame has a 69.5 HA with a 100mm fork.

I really prefer the 2.4 Ardent up front for it's versatility.

#17 ·
Been riding a Krampus for a couple years now. Started out as a secondary bike and quickly turned into my main ride. Adding a suspension fork to the front was a game changer, too much rebound (basketball effect) with the large volume tires on a rigid fork at speed of rocks etc. Now that there are some decent 29+ tires (Chupacabra is the best by far), 29+ is a great option for an all around trail bike. Definitely NOT a fat bike.

If you are coming out to the night ride tomorrow night look me up and ride my chubby.

#19 ·
If you are coming out to the night ride tomorrow night look me up and ride my chubby.
Interesting comment. One of the things that interested me in a 29+ was my thought that it would be a fun cruiser on trails like Pemby and MSP-North Area. That's why I decided on a rigid fork to start off. (That and there aren't too many 29+ specific susp forks.) This is sort of the polar opposite of most who seem to want 29+ for its ability to roll over stuff. I live next to east end of T100 and I'm sure the 29+ will see some action there. But that's not the type of trail I'm primarily getting it for. If it turns out that my "cruiser" idea works out, then I might convert to SS.

Good luck with the Stache Blatant. Hope you get one. If you do, I'd be very interested in your observations.

Bob

#18 ·
Well, hell, I guess I'll find out firsthand tomorrow morning.

Got it home after happily discovering that the tires just barely fit in my rack. Got it set up tubeless and begrudgingly removed the reflectors. Going to try it as is, rigid and with a rack of gears at first.

What I foresee: SS, dropper post and a 120 suspension fork.

IMG_0905 by dbozman1173, on Flickr

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.