Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner

Ladies, help my find a mtn bike for my petite girl

1K views 5 replies 6 participants last post by  DG40 
#1 ·
Good morning to all of you. My gf wants to get into mtn biking with me and she is 5' 1". We are looking at a $700 budget, hardtail probably and I am thinking a 26in wheel or maybe a a 27.5. I am having a difficult time finding a decent petite mtn bike locally. I know Cannondale makes one and no one has it in stock locally. What do you ride?

thanks!!
Ralph

#4 ·
Budget may be an issue. It's harder to find xs bikes for a bargain. The best thing to do might be to have her try different brands (demo) and see which fits. Then, go hunting. You can usually find great deals, if you are careful, at some LBS (xs demos rarely get ridden and can be a steal), pink bike can be awesome.

I'm 5'2 and ride an Ibis HD size small. With a short stem, it fits perfectly. You'll probably be able to find a steal on a 26er. My first bike was a Scott Spark 26er FS. For the price, it was an awesome bike. I loved her dearly. I think a FS with a good build was around 1600. They have hard tails in that style for much less.

#5 ·
Aloha, that budget makes it tough. Seems like Craigslist and Pinkbike might be your outlet.

I just got done putting together a "Spare parts" bike for about that price by purchasing a Chinese Carbon HT frame. Basically I had spare parts lying around except frame, seatpost, BB (for this frame), and seat-clamp. The frame was about $350 and included seat clamp, and headset. I ended up purchasing front derailleur, seatpost, rear axle. All other parts were stuff I had lying around in my garage.

Good luck with that. Post up what you come up with.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.