Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner

Girlfriends new bike troubles

568 views 8 replies 5 participants last post by  rangeriderdave 
#1 ·
Hey everyone.

GIrlfriend got a new trek nyko s. To get it home from the shop we had to take the front wheel off and put it in the jeep. Get it home and put the wheel back on, connect the brakes but the brake pad is rubbing on the wheel. no more gliding. anyone know how to safely adjust her brake system? Its the one that has the clip is rubbing so im assuming the cable got shorter somehow and is pulling too much on the other pad making it rub.

Thanks everyone!

#2 ·
There's probably nothing wrong with the brake. The system is sensitive to putting the front wheel in correctly. I try to push down on the handlebars when I operate a quick release skewer so the front axle stays seated nicely in the dropouts.

It's also possible that the cable housing came out of its seat somewhere, but check the other thing first.

#4 ·
I try to push down on the handlebars when I operate a quick release skewer so the front axle stays seated nicely in the dropouts.

It's also possible that the cable housing came out of its seat somewhere, but check the other thing first.
not sure what it would mean if the cable housing came out if its seat. There are these little skinny black bars that go behind the brake things too. not sure what they are. one was hanging down so i put it back. I unscrewed the axle and redid it and it seems like it is ok now, spinning smoothly, but seems like the pads are still touching the wheel.

#3 ·
Yeah, first off make good and sure the wheel is seated right.

Look over the whole brake system and make sure nothing's obviously out of whack. If the bike is new, it can't hurt to give the whole bike a 1-over and I'd recommend giving every nut and bolt a little check to make sure things are in order. And do it again after riding it for the first few hours.

#5 ·
They're springs.

I hope you didn't really unscrew the axle. I think you probably meant quick release?

I like Park Tool's bike repair articles. Here's one on installing and removing wheels.
http://www.parktool.com/blog/repair-help/wheel-removal-and-installation

If the brake is still weird after you install the wheel properly, we'll move on to other possible problems.

#7 ·
They're springs.

I hope you didn't really unscrew the axle. I think you probably meant quick release?

I like Park Tool's bike repair articles. Here's one on installing and removing wheels.
Park Tool Co. » ParkTool Blog » Wheel Removal and Installation

If the brake is still weird after you install the wheel properly, we'll move on to other possible problems.
yeah the quick release, thats what i meant lol. still learning haha.

I mean im pretty sure the wheel is on correctly. there is no space between the wheel and the fork so i dont see how it could go on wrong.

#8 ·
Trust me, it can. Do it again.

Actually, before you reapply the quick release, try rocking the bike from side to side worth the front wheel loosely in the dropouts. Just standing - it's not safe to ride it that way. It should become abundantly clear what's going in. You should also be able to feel the axle hitting the inside of the dropout as you transition from one side to the other. That's not necessarily something you can see with the acorn nuts on the quick release in place, but you need the axle seated in both dropouts for the brake to work right.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.