Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner

What is your experience with 29x3.0" rigid vs 29er with suspension fork?

8K views 20 replies 9 participants last post by  gonzo 
#1 ·
I miss riding rigid, but found I needed to go suspension fork because my rides were beating me up too much when riding rigid with a 2.4" front tire.

Starting to wonder how the newer 29x3.0, like the Bontrager Chupacabra ridden rigid compares to something like a 2.35" or 2.4" with a suspension fork.

I realize a 3.00" tire won't be the same as a suspension fork, but I'm curious if it makes going fully rigid a little more tolerable, way more tolerable, etc.

Would really appreciate your input.

Thanks!

#2 ·
I find every time I put a suspension fork on my bike, it only lasts a ride or two before I go back to my rigid fork + Knard.

No, that Knard doesn't smooth the trail like a sus fork, but it does offer some relief, and I like the extra volume for grip as well. Plus, I find riding a hardtail to be pretty mismatched front to rear: hit something with the front, no problem, then slam over it with the rear. I'd rather either ride rigid and be a bit more careful about line selection, or go all the way to full sus.

Keep in mind I ride midwest singletrack, so smooth to rooty, but not extensive rock gardens.

#8 ·
I think Seat_boy's numbers and comparisons are spot on. The Knard will smooth things out, but not even close to a suspension fork. I've always searched for the biggest volume tires to run on my rigid singlespeed, so when the whole 29+ thing materialized, I knew I had to try it. I've been riding a Gnarvester for last 1.5 years (1x10 though) with 50mm rims and Knards front and back. The tires do indeed smooth out the trail very well, but what I noticed the most it the extra traction! I also noticed they are slower to react and accelerate. My trails are very techy: rocky, rooty & turny, and I definately feel the extra weight and size. If you trails are faster with more flow, they would be awesome. No really what you were asking, but maybe helpful anyway.

#10 ·
<snip>but what I noticed the most it the extra traction! I also noticed they are slower to react and accelerate. My trails are very techy: rocky, rooty & turny, and I definately feel the extra weight and size.<snip>
Maybe that's an area where the Chupacabra would feel better than the Knard, it weighs about 300 grams less. H*ll it's only about 50 grams heavier than my 2.4" Conti MK w/Protection.

#11 ·
why not try the 40 dollar amazon tire just as an experiment?

it certainly takes the sting out of small bumps! I won't be switching back to my 2.4 up front any time soon. made me go from being able to run 30psi in a 2.4 to down to 15psi in the 3.0.

BIKENY you ever try normal tire in back and fatty up front? I don't notice any big downsides to a normal tire in the front (aside from a few grams which i don't seem to notice anyhow).

definitely think this is the best upgrade i ever made to my rigid ss setup! my only remaining question is how much more awesome it would be with a really wide rim vs. the flow it is on now. it certainly seems to work fine on the flow though...

#12 ·
why not try the 40 dollar amazon tire just as an experiment?
I don't currently have a setup that can accommodate a 29x3.0" which is why I'm asking for feedback. I'm considering a 2015 Trek Superfy with 35mm wide rims.

made me go from being able to run 30psi in a 2.4 to down to 15psi in the 3.0.
I run 19psi on my 2.4" Continental Mountain King w Protection, I would think you could run closer to 12 than 15 without knowing more specifics.

#13 ·
Having ridden production forks (Surly, Salsa, Niner, etc.) and a custom (WaltWorks), it makes a pretty significant difference. 2.4's were pretty harsh on the production forks, but on the WW, it gave it just a bit more compliance to make it tolerable. No, not suspension fork comfort, but I could fly over some of the rock garden sections that I couldn't before (with as much comfort). I'm assuming adding a 29+ tire (current awaiting install) will make it that much better.

For me, the key to going rigid is a compliant fork. You just can't get that with production stuff--too much liability out there. They're all beefed up too much. Get a custom builder to make you a nice compliant fork appropriate for your weight/terrain, and you'll be happy.

#14 ·
2:01 - I have been riding a Walt fork for a good while now. The big tire fits gloriously on there so that is how i roll now. and i totally agree a good fork like his makes a huge difference; but you know what to me the tire makes a much bigger one... the two together are great for sure!

randyharris - i can't go below 15; it squirms too much for my liking. plus i am still hitting the rim on occasion with this pressure so i think i am right about where i need to be. it is still 1/2 what i could run in my 2.4 and that makes a huge difference.

#15 ·
2:01 - I have been riding a Walt fork for a good while now. The big tire fits gloriously on there so that is how i roll now. and i totally agree a good fork like his makes a huge difference; but you know what to me the tire makes a much bigger one... the two together are great for sure!
That is probably pretty accurate. I've had a bike with a Knard up front before and it made a big difference. Can't wait to try it out on the WW fork.

#18 ·
Nice, I am looking at those for my rigid SS. Should have asked this the first time-do you also run the blunt35 in the rear? I am trying to figure out if it makes sense to run one in the rear with a 2.3 or so tire or if it makes more sense to run something a little narrower for better rim weight. Thanks for any thoughts.

#19 ·
I ride xc and do some dh racing on surly km with stock fork, i swap between 2.35 hans dampf and 2.25 wtb bronsons and for speed with minimal comfort 35mm conti cx races.
Other comforts can be found from different bar grips, changing bars maybe carbon and maybe swapping stem.
A big gain from swapping fork to a lighter tapered steel or nice carbon fork, however depending on how hard you ride a lighter fork can equal less precise steering.
If you allready have a wide rim front wheel then it's worth trying a 3" tyre if it fits your current fork.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.