Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner

rock shock reverb ?

2K views 25 replies 10 participants last post by  manitou2200 
#1 ·
couldnt find this answer anywhere in the manual. Is it ok to ride this post when its not fully extended up or compressed down?

#3 ·
What's the point of a dropper post then?

My suggestion would be to avoid a Reverb altogether. Chances of failures are high and I'm talking about instances which cannot be fixed by bleeding. If you're buying it new, negotiate with the dealer to get you a Thomson for the same price or a few bucks more.

#6 ·
xlash, where did you get that info? There are more Reverbs out there that any other dropper and the reliability is very good. I have one and have had no issues. The Reverb is infinitely adjustable up and down and great using at any point in the travel.

I also have a KS Lev. I have to say that I like the cable control on the Lev a little better than the hydraulic control of the Reverb! Both posts are great as I'm sure the Thompson droppers are as well.

#11 ·
xlash, where did you get that info? There are more Reverbs out there that any other dropper and the reliability is very good. I have one and have had no issues. The Reverb is infinitely adjustable up and down and great using at any point in the travel.

I also have a KS Lev. I have to say that I like the cable control on the Lev a little better than the hydraulic control of the Reverb! Both posts are great as I'm sure the Thompson droppers are as well.
On the reviews section right here at mtbr: RockShox Reverb Dropper Seatpost Reviews - Mtbr.com

I spent months searching for the right dropper post and virtually every shop said they had a lot of people coming in with complaints with the Reverb. My Giant Contact is also infinitely adjustable, came at less than half the price and has better ratings. If it's going to go back in the shop for a warranty claim, I might as well spend less and get durability/reliability for my $$.

The reason why I mentioned Thomson Elite was because in terms of price, it is right up there with the Reverb but better ratings.

What a prospective buyer would want to look at is not how well it's worked for one or two individuals but what the general consensus is.

To be fair, the Reverb is the most popular dropper post. Most manufacturers offer it on their bikes so there will likely be more users. Therefore, there will likely be more satisfied users as well as dissatisfied ones and the latter tend to voice their opinions more visibly. Yet, the rate of failures is still high not just from users but their bike shops as well.

Just as a footnote, a few manufactures like Lapierre do offer the KS Lev on the mid-range builds (Reverb Stealths on their top end bikes though). Only boutique brands like Yeti and Ellesworth offer the Thomson Covert (Elite) stock with their high end bikes. The exceptions are of course Giant and Specialized since they have their own proprietary Contact Switch and Command Post Blacklite respectively.

#7 ·
Another vote for the Reverb, mine came with the bike and I love it. Note no issue with using it at any point in its travel. I use mine even when getting on and off the bike as well. One note I have learned (from asking) store it fully extended and do not hang the weight of the bike from it ie. some bike stands and racks etc..

#8 ·
The Reverb feels surprisingly stiff no matter what height its at. And as for reliability, my Reverb has been perfect for 3 years now. People freak out about the Reverb's reliability but the only maintenance needed is a annual seal replacement.

#9 ·
I'm after info on the Reverb too. I'm thinking about buying one for my son. So far most of the reviews and opinions I've seen have been positive. Yes, I've seen some bad reports but they seem to be in the minority.

One of the things holding me back is the fact that the seat clamp is not offset. My son's clamp is laid-back and he's got the seat right back on the rails. The Reverb would push the seat forward an inch or more. Not sure what he'd think of that.

Also, how do you work out what length of Reverb to buy? It comes with 100 or 125mm drop and also different lengths. Don't want to buy one that can't put the seat where he wants it.

#12 ·
I'm after info on the Reverb too. I'm thinking about buying one for my son. So far most of the reviews and opinions I've seen have been positive. Yes, I've seen some bad reports but they seem to be in the minority.

One of the things holding me back is the fact that the seat clamp is not offset. My son's clamp is laid-back and he's got the seat right back on the rails. The Reverb would push the seat forward an inch or more. Not sure what he'd think of that.

Also, how do you work out what length of Reverb to buy? It comes with 100 or 125mm drop and also different lengths. Don't want to buy one that can't put the seat where he wants it.
This depends on the length of his legs, the size of the bike and his riding preference. At max height, he should be at cross country height for max power. At the lowest, he should be low enough to give him decent control going downhill and taking corners at speed. Additionally, when taking on a very steep drop, he should be able to get behind the seat when it is completely down. Getting the most amount of drop isn't necessarily the best way to go if he's a XC or trail rider.

#10 ·
IMO get the length that is at the height your son needs when fully extended and with at least 100mm inserted into the seatpost. He can drop it and stop it to the height he then wants and have it extend back all the way to the height he needs.

If he's still growing you might want to get a longer post so that you can pull more out of the seat tube but still have a min of 100mm inserted as he grows.

Sent from my Lumia 920 using Board Express

#15 ·
Well, eight's not a large enough sample to be at all representative. I'm not saying the Thomson is bad, I assume it's a good post, but it's the Reverb that keeps coming up as the one to beat when you search.

With so many in circulation you're always going to be able to buy parts too. That one fact ruled out a lot of otherwise interesting products. If anyone know a post that's as solid a recommendation but is lay-back I'd like to hear about it?

#16 ·
If anyone know a post that's as solid a recommendation but is lay-back I'd like to hear about it?
KS. The secret to KS reliability is keeping crap out of the top by the saddle rails. I use a cut up old tube. Does the trick. Plus lots of offset, a good ergo remote and price its been an excellent dropper for me. You can also hang the bike on the stand off its seat.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.