Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner

disc brakes

870 views 9 replies 7 participants last post by  tigris99 
#1 ·
I have 2 options for disc brakes on my 26er orbea hydro. 1) avid bb7 cable disc brakes and 2) helix bengal 5 hydros. Which do suggest? (Front 180 rear 160). Thanks.

G
#2 · (Edited)
I actually retrograded from Avid 5s to BB7s after I blew out the seals on the rear lever on the third bleed in 2 years. Bought them on sale (200mm front and 160mm rear) at Avid BB7 Mechanical Disc Brake 2011 > Components > Brakes > MTB Disc Brakes | Jenson USA with a set of Speed Dial 7 levers and Jagwire Cables. They're working great but you have to (read not optional) burn them in before you ride anywhere. After installation, clean the pads and rotors with Alcohol and riding in a parking lot (or some place where you don't have to stop completely) accelerate to 15mph and brake hard (one brake only) to about 3mph and repeat 15-20 times. Repeat with the other brake. Set-up is really important too, so make sure follow directions carefully. Mine are quiet and smooth, I've got good control and plenty of stopping power (at 209 pounds). Total order with cables was $135.

#4 ·
For less than the combined price of the bb7s, Jagwire cables/housings and Speed Dial 7 levers you can get Shimano Deore m615 hydraulics from Ribble...$95.07/set.
They have excellent power with no maintenance for years.
Use your existing rotors after cleaning. Normal pad bed in.
Change dest & currency top right.

#6 ·
In direct answer to your question, between the two, I'd go with BB7s. Actually have a set on one of my road bikes. They've been reliable and while they need more frequent attention than hydraulic discs or v-brakes, it's an easy adjustment.

All hydraulic discs are not created equal. You can tell that if you hang around a little while and read some of the holy wars about them. I wouldn't go off-brand.

#10 ·
Bb7s tried and true but finiky. Good brakes.

If ur going hydro, Shimano if at all possible. Arguably the best hydros available especially for the price.

Stay away from off brand hydros unless u just ride pathes, rail trail, etc. Off brand can become dangerous when expected to hold up for trail use.
Sent from my Nokia Stupid Phone using Tapatalk

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.