Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner

Trying to find a mountain bike - Marin?

1K views 19 replies 12 participants last post by  asanatheist 
#1 ·
Looking to start MNT biking. I am in Michigan and not looking to be too hardcore but more just some trail riding for fun to get off road. Been looking for a hardtail on craigslist for no more than $350... don't think I need anything more for what I am going to do.

Any thoughts on this? Thanks.
https://grandrapids.craigslist.org/bid/4687045911.html

Or any other bikes to look for or things to avoid?

#12 ·
Not needed at all for a beginner.
A rebound dampener should help but unless you are going pretty fast and seeing a lot of rocks, it's not noticeable. If you are really going that fast, more travel would also help.

OP the bike you just linked is going to work for an entry level bike and should work fine provided you aren't consistently doing rock gardens, or doing jumps or drops more than 1 foot. For most beginner trails it going to be fine.

Some will recommend to buy a used bike however I would be cautious if you don't know what to look for get someone to help. I looked for a used bike in the $300-$400 range after researching on components/what to look for and found a lot of junk. I tried to for 3 months I gave up on craigslist and decided to visit LBS for used bikes. It was even worse.

#6 ·
All the smalls are in Texas...$150 ship makes it less of a deal.
I put this out because it is the best trail ready deal new, because of the fork.
The problem for a beginner is often lack of info on what fun it is to ride on real trails.
You haven't been on any because of no appropriate bike.
Sometimes it saves you money to forgo purchasing and save a little longer so you can have a bike that works on trails.

At this time of year deals can be found at shops. Avoid Suntour XCR, XCT, XCM and RST forks.
Avoid 7sp freewheel rear gears. It is better to get disc brakes.

#5 ·
OP wants a bike for no more than $350. eb1888 posts a link to one for double that. So much fail there that I am almost at a loss for words.

OP - keep looking. That Marin isn't bad if you plan on staying on the road, but if you want to see trail use, that bike will show its shortcomings rather quickly.

#7 ·
I'm new and no expert that's for sure. I tend to disagree with most on the fact you can't ride an entry level bike around the trails. I've put over 1K on mine in two months and haven't broken a thing. Its a devinci cameleon RC and has a sr tour fork. I no there are better tools for the trade however mine is proof that they will work. And I ride pretty hard!

#9 ·
Exactly!!! Don't let these fear mongering fork nazi's tell you otherwise. They make it seem like if you don't have a Raidon or some air fork, that the bike simply will not work. As a beginner, you really don't know the difference. Get what you can afford, and ride the absolute hell out of it.

#13 ·
Bikesdirect can be hit or miss if you are not familiar with sizing, and let it be known to ignore the compare to price or whatever jingle they are trying over there. Forget that. You cannot compare apples and oranges. The price of a bike from the LBS comes with many things that BD doesn't offer, like knowledge, at least a basic bike fit if not more, possible service agreements, complimentary items like first tune up, and the fact that it is completely assembled by a shop.

Also, a lot of shops will put that rental fee towards the price of the bike if you decide to buy.

#14 ·
the marin isn't bad for a new bike, 350 doesn't buy much today.
if you are sticking with new, I'd stay away from full suspension and disc brakes, reason being that I'd rather the cost of the bike spent on better parts elsewhere.

I also like the SR forks, esp at your price range, I have a mtb with SR XCM and vbrakes at my summer home and it works just fine. I have a few mtbs at home with much better parts, but summer bike away from home is just as much fun once I get out.

#15 ·
At that price point to be honest you would be best to stay away from a suspension fork as well. That Marin as a rigid would probably be better than with the fork that it comes with. The disc brakes that you get at this price range will be low to mid end mechanicals. If you can find one with Avid BB5's or 7's that would be ideal.

#20 ·
Yup.

Once again I would really go against buying used. Yes you could end up with a good bike but chances are you won't know what to look for. I tried to shop around for 3 months and couldn't find anything that was really worth an upgrade. Only gems I found were quickly snatched up.
I later found out (after relaying my experience with LBS's) a lot of LBS's or their mechanics will go around craigslists for these gems. And trust me they will get them.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.