Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner

How does this compare to single-track?

3K views 40 replies 22 participants last post by  Mr Pig 
#1 ·
How does this terrain compare to a "typical" MTB trail, if such a thing exists? I'm not talking highly technical singletrack but rather beginner to moderate tracks?

This is construction in our subdivision and I've been riding it for practice. I'm riding a 700c hybrid converted to 26" wheels and I'm running 2.15" Big Apples. It's a bit scary but I'm getting more used to it and figuring things out. I only had to bail once and that was when I tried to start from a dead-stop, going slightly uphill, into a very strong wind and in pretty loose dirt. Didn't get the momentum and I'm glad I have a lot of standover clearance!

A description of the terrain:

The auto tracks are hard-packed dirt.

The spaces in between the auto tracks are pretty loose dirt.

There are chunks of dried dirt (ie, like rocks) everywhere and they vary from small to several inches in diameter. Sometimes they basically form a rock bed that I have to roll over.

The large earth-moving equipment tracks are solid and basically like riding a giant washboard and they criss-cross the area pretty much everywhere except where they've roughly graded road beds.

The white is just small filler rocks that don't pose any problems at all.

Natural environment Soil Landscape Plain Field
Soil Land lot Horizon Plain Sand

See less See more
#15 ·
^ Yep

Aside from width restriction, you've got dropoffs, steep climbs, fallen trees, rocks, roots, sharp turns, limbs hanging over the trail, jumps, animals, limited line of sight, jumps, ditches, creek crossings, ...the list goes on.

Riding a level construction sight will teach you little to nothing about singletrack riding. Start with basic trails marked with either a white or green circle and little elevation change. Then move up to blue squares. Stay away from black diamonds for a little bit.

#4 ·
Most of those photos look more mild than what I'm riding. Basically hard-packed dirt. I've watched several videos that were shot locally and they also look more mild than what I'm riding but photos and videos are not the same as actually experiencing it.

I guess I'm wondering if being comfortable on the terrain in the pictures is going to lead to a "this isn't too bad..." opinion on a real trail or an ".........Oh my god....what have I gotten into..." reaction. Mainly speaking of bike handling skills although I know where I'm riding doesn't have the twisty-curvies but I'm basically riding slicks so I know that will be a considerable difference than what I'm used to.

#5 ·
Its literally the opposite of single track since its completely wide open like a field. Single track is single track due to the narrowness of the trail (enough room for a single person), not the technical merits.

Some single tracks can be outright dangerous because if you mess up your line even a tiny bit you could end up in a tree or tumbling down the side of a mountain, not a good idea to do those unless you are really comfortable with bike control. There are easy leisurely single tracks as well with no real danger if you wind up off the track other than some bumpy grass mounds.

It all depends on the trail, they range from brainless to extreme

#6 ·
Many of thos pictures are simple single track (compared to what I am used to in my area) however their is a big difference in what you are posting. Where your terrain is bumpy and probably tougher to pedal through than most hard pack single track, is is mostly level, as wide as you want, slow, no trees, no roots, no curves, no drops, no jumps, no off camber, etc etc.

It really is no comparison.

As far as getting yourself in to something you shouldn't get in to, I can't answer that. I don't now your local trails. However, I am going to guess there isn't too much OMG WTF in Oklahoma City. Even then, nothing is stopping you from getting off the bike and walking.

I will say though that your bike set up leaves a lot to desire for true single track.
Maybe an actual mountain bike with mountain bike suspension and mountain bike tires would work better.

#9 ·
Lol... How does this wide open mud field compare to single track... I'm sorry, but no.. That doesnt compare at all. The thing with single track is that it's a single.. Track.. You have one option, to turn when it turns, go over what's in front of you. Where you're riding you can avoid everything and go down a straight line indefinitely it seems.

Sent from my 831C using Tapatalk

#11 ·
^ +1

In your case, find a nice easy hiking trail and start with that. Your first step is to be able to pedal on a trail, up and down, around people, even if the trail is 10 feet wide. As you ride more and can control you bike, you can find a narrow the trail and add some features that will make it more fun.

John

#13 ·
Departing for a moment from your unfortunate use of the term singletrack, most beginner trails rely on closely spaced trees, sharp turns, and mild terrain features such as roots, climbs, descents, rollers or whoop de dos, and maybe some rock gardens. The only semblance that has is the ruts and things to roots and rock gardens. As far as testing the mechanical (handling not included) capability of your bike, that actually probably does resemble a beginner trail. People ride beginner trails on cyclocross bikes all the time.

In other words if your bike can handle that, it can probably handle most beginner trails and slow, careful riding of intermediate, probably with a good bit of walking things.

Serious rock gardens, rocky and pretty high speed descents, jumps and drops, are what is going begin to test your equipment.

I am not addressing your physical or psychological comfort, which are both enhanced by better bikes.

#14 ·
As others have mentioned WIDTH is what makes single track. There's a huge difference between riding on a 12 foot wide track and a 12 or 24 inch wide track. (Track here meaning the tread on which you can have your tyres)
In practice, it means fewer choices and less margin for error in which part of the track you can roll on, without running into whatever is off the track.
The reduced room for error sometimes brings psychological effects too. Making you more cautious than you really need to be, for example. Or more cautious than is good for you: like, you could certainly make it through that 6 inch wide snow track if you kept enough speed, but you are worried, slow down so much that balance becomes sketchy, and keep tumbling into the soft snow off the track.

How can we get rid of that huge photo?

#16 ·
There are wide tracks, too, with dropoffs, steep climbs, fallen trees, rocks, roots, sharp turns, limbs hanging over the trail, jumps, animals, limited line of sight, jumps, ditches, creek crossings....
Singletrack that is mainly smooth does indeed exist. There's little of it on my side of the town, though. A couple of my favorite spots consist of smooth pieces of twisting trail, 6 to 16 inches wide - just because it is different from the more bumpy parts.

#17 ·
Nothing like single track. Ur riding more like a bike park. Ur tires won't even work on single track if u carry any speed or deal with any steep climbs.

Sorry op but u have alot going against u if yr wanting to ride trails. Beginner single track would be fine with tires meant for more than pavement.
Sent from my Nokia Stupid Phone using Tapatalk

#18 ·
Big Apples must be almost as bad for loose ground - as I see in the photos, as my commuting Bontrager Hank 2.2" slicks.
Those same slicks work "OK" on dry hardpack (organic/sand mix) or bare granite bedrock. (not so much on wet grass or mud...)

#26 ·
Riding anything is better than sitting on the couch watchingYouTube videos of mtb. If you know where the trail are why are you riding there, wasting your time & effort? I have to drive 45 minutes to get to the trails. Some guys, further than that.
How bad do you wanna be an mtbr?

#27 ·
Don't be put off. I ride singletrack all the time, but when they were developing a new housing estate nearby I would ride there too if I felt like a quick spin after work. Grab some of those white stones and mark out some corners. You don't have to mark the straights, just make a 3 foot wide line in the corners and make some fast and loose, some tight and slow and tricky. Ride along the sideslope of the dam to practice your balance and to learn how to ride with your butt outside the line of the bike. Test your braking skills to see if you can pull up faster over time and also to refine braking in corners. Practice bunny hopping over clumps of earth and search for anything that can be used as a small launch pad. See if you can ride your little track faster with practice. Above all, do not do anything to upset the developer and be prepared to take a verbal flogging for being caught there. I managed to brake 2 ribs jumping in just such an area, so it's not always totally easy. When you do hit true singletrack you will be more skilled and better able to look ahead so you can predict and flow through tougher sections. All riding is good. Hope you have a golf course with a bar on the way home like I do!

#32 ·
I think some of you guys are being a little unfair. Yes, it's not single-track but I think the guy knows that, it's pretty obvious! It is however very loose which is challenging in itself.

A single-track isn't some magical entity, all it means is a narrow trail. It could be loose, rocky, straight, twisty, flat or steep. Easy and boring or technical and challenging. It's just a path on the ground.

So no, it's not single-track but it will be easier than some single-tracks and harder than others. The main thing is that if you find it fun to ride on and you are learning stuff it's all good :0) Just learning to ride on a surface that loose is beneficial. Few bike trails are that loose, most are pretty hard packed, so you may well be getting good at something many bikers would struggle with. Have fun dude :0)

#33 ·
All riding is good IMO and you can acquire valuable skills on any terrain, and those same skills will most definitely come into play once you hit some singletrack.

But as to your opening question "How does this compare to singletrack?"- that photo is pretty much the exact opposite of singletrack.

#39 ·
Just ordered two of those Kenda tyres for less than £20 delivered! I'll try and remember to post up my thoughts. Getting cold and dark here in Scotland though so might be a while.

Incidentally,here's a link to some reviews of the Trail Bear: LINK I don't agree about them being great on the back, the others I've tried have been better. Academic as you can't buy the things any more! Pity.

#40 ·
Mr. Pig,

Thanks for the words of encouragement and advice! It's much appreciated.

I hope to try single-track as well as expedition touring (day trips...I'm not a camper) in the near future.

Seeing that you are in Scotland, I have to ask if you've seen the documentary "Reveal the Path. It's Mike Dion, Matthew Lee and Hunter Weeks from "Ride the Divide" plus the Great Divide race winner from that year getting on MTB's and traveling around the world and documenting their trip. Their first stop is Scotland. It's definately geared more toward the expedition touring crowd but there is a fair amount of single-track in the film.

#41 ·
Seeing that you are in Scotland, I have to ask if you've seen the documentary "Reveal the Path.
No, I've never heard of that? Touring isn't something that appeals to me. I have friends who do it, load their bikes with huge panniers etc, but I'm happy to stick to day trips. I like travelling light.

I would certainly like to find more trails though. We talk about it every year but it rarely happens. We've done a few cool trips but this country is covered in trails, I just don't know were they are. I had a good friend who knew the countryside like the back of his hand but he was killed out on the hills a couple of years ago.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.