Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner

Trek 820 Rebuild/Assembly

3K views 9 replies 5 participants last post by  8iking VIIking 
#1 ·
Hello to all,

I have been searching the internet for some sort of guide on how to disassemble/assemble my Trek 820. Reason is that I want to clean it up and give it a fresh coat of paint on the frame as well as replace some worn parts.

I have searched on YouTube, Twitter, Trek website, Mountain bike forums, and various other sites but have not come across any information or guide that can help me.

I am fairly new to working on bicycles but I am excellent with hands on working. I am confident I can do the work myself but it's always best to have a guide that I can fall back on if something doesn't seem right.

I can post a pic if necessary but I am sure most of you know the Trek 820.

Any help would be very well appreciated and I thank you in advance.:thumbsup:

Thanks,

Jahkno

See less See more
#2 ·
My advice would be to look up what type of parts are on the bike, then Google how to remove them.

For example, look up what kind of crank/bottom bracket the bike has (my guess would be square taper and standard cartridge bottom bracket), then look up how to remove a square taper crank and a cartridge bb.

Thats really the only part that you need specialized tools for, unless you plan on replacing the headset bearings. The Park tool website has some really good walkthroughs

#5 ·
parktool.com has a new bike assembly checklist with links to articles on each part. Do that. In reverse. :) There may be some things that Park Tool doesn't cover well. But you should find the bulk of what you need there.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.