Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner

Front tyre slipping

895 views 9 replies 7 participants last post by  ou2mame 
#1 ·
Hi,

Im still relatively new to cycling and I have one thing that bothers me. Whenever I cycle at pathway, then divert to the grass patch (this is just an example, it can happen also on any other trail when I change surface type) I sometimes experience tyre slipping even if the difference in surface height is only about 2 inches.

This normally happens on slow to medium speed but Im not sure if the case is the same on higher speeds (but of course pavement we drive slow anyway). What happens is the tyre goes up the other surface but slips back to the higher pavement making me momentarily struggle for control.

Is there something Im doing wrong here? angle of approach? My concern is when this happens on trail when the the trail is narrow and the sides are higher or rocky sections when its unavoidable to have sudden different pavement heights.

Here is a sketch of what Im doing,

If it helps, Im riding a hardtail 26er. Non tubeless and I set my tyre ressue to 35psi

See less See more
#4 ·
I would also take a hard look at a front tire with better nobbies on the outside of treaded area. This will help keep traction in turns, as well as make shallow angle and off camber approaches a little easier. It is also important to keep in mind you front suspension works best at a 90 degree angle approach to an obstacle, this is why it is important to pick lines and try and approach an obstacle as squared up to it as possible. For this the first responder has the easier and most correct solution, approach the transition as close to 90 degrees as possible and your tire should not slip.

#5 ·
Thanks guys, while 90 degree angle is possible in these situations, how about on trail? my worry are those deep, narrow single tracks that if Im unable to hold my line then surely I will hit the side and a similar thing will happen?

Am I right to assume that approaching different heights of surface at an angle considerably less than 90 degrees is to be avoided? any angle where it starts to get sketchy?

Oh and by the way, if it helps, Im using 2.25 Maxxis Ardents front and rear

#7 ·
Thanks guys, while 90 degree angle is possible in these situations, how about on trail? my worry are those deep, narrow single tracks that if Im unable to hold my line then surely I will hit the side and a similar thing will happen?

Am I right to assume that approaching different heights of surface at an angle considerably less than 90 degrees is to be avoided? any angle where it starts to get sketchy?
A lot of times you can pick lines that mostly avoid the situations you're describing but many times you can't and you need to learn how to unweight the wheels properly.

If you have enough speed you could just bunny-hop to the transition but usually on the trail you won't so instead you need to lift the front wheel first and then unweight the rear wheel over the transition. Practice and you'll get the hang of it.

Even a benign situation like in your example pic can take you down if approached wrong so I think it's a good skill to work on.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.