Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner

Trail etiquette question.

2K views 26 replies 14 participants last post by  kjlued 
#1 ·
Say you are riding on a trail that has a suggested route (not a one way trail but just a trail that suggests you go a certain direction so 90% of the riders do just that). Now you are going the suggested direction hitting some sweet down hill single track and here comes Joe Gnar deciding he wants to shred against the grain and is currently climbing the wrong way.

If it is a one way trail, the guy going the wrong way is breaking the rules so I say fvck'em and knock them over. ;) However in this case, it isn't really against the rules but it also isn't the norm.

So the question is, Who yields?

#8 ·
The purpose for uphill cyclists and pedestrians having right of way is safer passing speeds, not preserving uphill momentum. Uphill restarts is an issue they don't give a rat's ass about. They care about not being sued for injury and death.

Uphill giving right of way is common sense only when one considers momentum a priority over safety. Yes, it takes more distance to stop on a downgrade, but another bit of common sense (and rule in most areas) dictates that we maintain a speed that is conducive to a safe environment for all users of the trail. You are supposed to reduce your speed to match the distance you can see down the trail. If you hit someone, whether they be standing in the middle of the trail on a blind curve or whatever, the fault will be yours. Sure, they made an UNSAFE decision to stand on the trail, but you made and UNSAFE decision to ride faster than the amount of trail that was in your vision, and you were the one in motion.

Yes, it sucks, but as long as we expect others to provide rideable space, we need to be responsible and follow the common sense rules that make the trails safe for everyone. If you run over a hiker that's on a one-way bikes only trail, then maybe you've got a case, but for most of the MUP trails, you're breaking the rules when you're bombing those curvy decents, and are expecting others to do so as well when you believe that downhillers should EVER have right of way.

Ride safe, everyone rides tomorrow.

#2 ·
A one way trail means just that, never seen any 'suggestion' trails where I ride...

Riders down here yield,, we all seem to be nicer, never seen one want to Knock one off.

Up hill riders have the right of way simply because if they stop they have a hard time starting UP ,,, the hill.... Duh !

Down hill riders can re start easy as pie..

Of course I ain't no dummy,, If I see a mach 2 missle headed my way I will yield.....

Commonsense is needed, not testosterone, Wrong way riders need guidance.

#3 ·
No testosterone problems here. I wouldn't really knock anyone over and I would have thought the ";)" would have mad it obvious that I was joking. Anyways, thanks for explaining the rules I already know.

That all being said, we do have trails near by with suggested routes.
Pretty famous trails too (Tsali).

#9 ·
The rider going downhill always yields. I've ridden trails with "suggested" directions before, and they are just that, suggestions. But even on trails with a direction that is "written in stone", it is common courtesy to yield to the bone head grinding up the hill, even though he/she isn't supposed to be. And I disagree with Flamingtaco. While the primary reason for yielding right of way to uphill riders now days is a safety concern, the original reasons were uphill momentum and restart on an uphill grade. It was and is still simply MUCH easier for the downhill rider to get started again. But I do agree as the capabilities of bikes have increased along with trail speeds, safety has become a significant factor as well.

The rules of trail etiquette may not make sense on the surface, but they do when you think about it.

Good Dirt

#12 ·
The rider going downhill always yields. I've ridden trails with "suggested" directions before, and they are just that, suggestions. But even on trails with a direction that is "written in stone", it is common courtesy to yield to the bone head grinding up the hill, even though he/she isn't supposed to be. And I disagree with Flamingtaco. While the primary reason for yielding right of way to uphill riders now days is a safety concern, the original reasons were uphill momentum and restart on an uphill grade. It was and is still simply MUCH easier for the downhill rider to get started again. But I do agree as the capabilities of bikes have increased along with trail speeds, safety has become a significant factor as well.

The rules of trail etiquette may not make sense on the surface, but they do when you think about it.

Good Dirt
Thank you for I think being the only one that actually understood the question.... well, except for J.B. Weld, I think he understood the question but just isn't yielding for anyone. ;)

Way ahead of you bro, and twice afterwards for good measure.

I also have a bumper sticker on my seat bag that says "If you can read this I just ran over you". Stole that one from Bender.

Brakes are for chumps.
When you master masturbating while riding then you will be the sensei master.....bater.

#13 ·
I always give way... riding up/down doesn't matter.

But, I've come across downhill riders that clearly had no intention of pulling over... Why do I always give way?

Coz, I don't wanna get hurt/or hurt anyone else...

Plus I'm a gentleman and a scholar ^^

#17 ·
I guess if there is a direction either posted, or in general known to be correct on a true singletrack trail, what would posses you as an individual to go against the grain? Your little bit of extra percieved happiness at the cost of everyone elses seems a selfish dick like move... In a sport that unfortunately suffers some from a pretty unerned bad reputation, why would it not be the first thought of every rider to be as curteous as possible to all trail users, even and most importantly to our fellow mountain bikers?

#19 ·
If it is a one way trail I say you are a dick for going the wrong way.

If it is a suggested route, I say no big deal during the week when you are highly unlikely to run in to other users (at least at this trail system) but on weekends when there are many users, I say go the right way.

I would certainly understand though why a local would like to occasionally go the other way to change things up a little.

And yes, Tsali is true single track. Very narrow in some places and difficult to get two bikes by each other.

#20 ·
I live next door to Tsali and ride it almost daily. And in doing so, I ride each and every trail there(but 1*) both directions, swapping it up pretty much daily. For the record, Tsali's main trails have absolutely no posted direction. Zero. Nada. Nothing. There IS one or 2 "suggested route" signs. But don't ever EVER count on those.

*There is ONE short trail there that is marked directional, and thats the Mouse lookout loop. Thats its tho. Period.

#24 ·
Ohh my comments were not directed at anyone in particular, just as a general guidline. I am fortunate to live by an amazing trail system that is very well marked and one way, with separate hiking paths that at times intersect the bike only paths. No horses, no dogs, and no elitist hikers.... deer, turkey, squirrels but those are harder to hit. And they are impeccably maintained, Lebanon Hills come enjoy biking nirvana.

#25 ·
Sounds nice and maybe I will come bike them next time I am up there. My family is from the Twin Cities area so I am up there occasionally but usually not to bike. Until then, I will just have to make do with Pisgah National Forrest. ;)

#27 ·
Again, a different situation. That was a one way trail.

You have multi directional trails, One way trails and in my case, a SUGGESTED route of travel. It is just suggested and not set in stone as a rule.

Seriously, if it was a rule as in a one way trail and a rider is going the wrong way, I could really care less about being a douche and yielding as that guy is being a douche by going the wrong way.

On a suggested route of travel, it only suggests a way. It does so because it really is the better way of travel and it helps to reduce user conflict. Now if I lived closer to the trail where I was riding it on a regular basis, I would ride it in both directions myself to change it up. I can see where the trails are good either way. So I have no issue with it. However, I personally would chose to go with the flow on the weekends when it is busiest. Not only for the courtesy of it to others but also for my benefit so I am not stopping every time I pass somebody.

In my area, everything is multi directional and although I would like to climb some trails, I don't do the popular down hills against the flow on busy days. Why? Because I think it is rude. Now I may decide to do it on a weekday morning or even early on a weekend before people get to the top to ride down. Sure, I may bump in to somebody but I lesson the chance. I can't be perfect all the time..so I have to settle for perfection just most of the time. ;)

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.