Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner

Beginner Here.

2K views 34 replies 8 participants last post by  Dragith 
#1 · (Edited)
I haven't ridden a bike since middle school. I'm now 25. A friend and I are looking to get into mountain biking. I'd like to start out with XC to build my endurance, but eventually I'd like to move into DH.

Would this be a decent bike for XC and DH? Is that a good price? My price max is around $1500.

I'm 5'7 and I live in south jersey if it matters.

Thanks.

Fuji Reveal 2.0

#2 ·
Guys should chime in with some specific advice on bikes to look at (that one seems kind of pricey to me, but others will know better).

I can tell you if you really want to get into DH, you're going to need something much burlier. You could probably get down a mountain on that bike a few times n a pinch, but XC and DH are apples and oranges. Mountain Creek would kill it in pretty short order if you took it there regularly, and it wouldn't be much fun compared to a more dedicated gravity bike. If you're really thinking this is something you're going to get into, before buying a bike, I'd go and rent one and try it out. The 'right' recommendation for you is going to have a lot to do with how much you want to concentrate on lift riding vs trail riding. (The best solution is 2 bikes.)

#3 ·
I think the old axiom of using the right tool for the job sums it up best. This would be like asking for a race car that would be competitive in both WRC and NASCAR.... If your looking for a trail bike or all mountain expect to give up some capabilities on both ends of the spectrum.

#4 ·
I think you should get an XC bike, ride it like hell, rent a DH bike and then see if you want to keep the XC or swap out for a DH. Really though, I don't know too much. That just seems like a logical progression to me. Downhill is supposedly harder, but I find that XC is plenty challenging (I kinda suck at off-road cycling).

#6 ·
i am from south jersey as well so I guess for downhill you will be going to mountain creek, you don't really need a fs to pull it off there, though it's not bad to have either, I personally went with a trek stache cause it is great for both worlds. All the trails in nj don't get mixed up with freeriding and dh you can get a highend hardtail in that price point, just get a shock with 120mm-130mm and you will be fine.

#13 ·
I think that is more a matter of opinion, not only do a lot of people ride hardtail for DH, I also think it's more fun cause you have to work harder with it then on the FS but like I said this is all a matter of opinion!

#17 ·
Looking at the specs of that Fuji, it is a good value for a versatile bike. Nice find. I'd want to find out how much it weighs before going forward with a recommendation in comparison to a hard tail.
I would switch the brakes to Deore m615s or SLX from Ribble.

#18 ·
I agree with eb, the Fuji has some decent components. I do remeber when I was shopping early this year that Fuji's were a bit heavy (personally I don't find the difference in a few pounds either way to be a major concern, especially as a beginner to be an issue). Also the rear suspension design, I would peddel it around a bit first. If I remeber correctly I read some place that many of the older horizontal shock designs suffered alittle more from pedal bob than the verticle designs... but that could just be advertising hipe too.... not sure. Otherwise I remeber liking the Fuji bikes alot.

#19 ·
I should come in on the Fuji talk I guess. I own one. Fuji are a lot better than they used to be, and their frames are pretty solid. Even the lower spec'd models have good frames. The one you posted loss pretty dang snappy. I think you'd enjoy it, but mind that any bike comes with explicit instructions on what the bike was and was not made to do. I don't know about that one, but just make sure you check so you don't get a bike that want designed for your desires.

#21 ·
Looks like a decent place to start to me if you've got the money for it. I think multiple DH runs would tear it up and the wheels might be a bit small for a lot of XC/Mountain riding. But as far as a relatively inexpensive starter bike, it looks to be a good one to figure out where your riding desires and skills fall for your inevitable upgrade should you stick with the riding.

#23 ·
I'm sure we will can't miss me with my bright orange bike and backpack lol out of those bikes I would pick the giant you can always upgrade the parts, but that ghost bike has better parts tough one it's all up to you. Did you stop in any bike shop to demo a bike yet? And if so what shop?

#30 ·
as nice looking as the bike is, it is the type of bike that is ok to start with but not to much room to grow with, you will be begging for a better bike. this Forks: Suntour XCM LO, Coil Spring With Preload Adjustment And Lock Out Mode, 120mm Travel . the travel is fine but the suntour is low-end. I rather see you get a good used bike before that one.

#31 ·
I was afraid of that. I've read numerous places and it seems not many are fans of suntour. Maybe just the low end stuff? Alright so I definitely need something with more room to grow with. I definitely feel as though I'll do better with a decent hardtail over an entry level full suspension.

I like the ghost that I had posted but I'm not crazy about the fork travel.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.