Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner

Someone stole my bike... and I couldn't be happier!

2K views 9 replies 9 participants last post by  lex_luthor 
#1 ·
So I took my 2007 Diamondback Response into a local bike shop to be fitted for disc brakes. It's a pretty cool non-profit shop, and thrives on donated bikes and parts. As it was an entry level bike, I just wanted something better than the basic V-brakes that were installed, so they were going to install a good condition used set of disc brakes on my Response for a very fair price.

At 5:00 in the afternoon, I got the call from them that I'd been waiting on. Unfortunately, instead of telling me my bike was ready for pick up, they informed me that when their mechanic stepped into the back, someone came in off the street, walked into the workbench area, and walked out with my bike. My heart sank into my stomach. Sure it was an entry-level bike, but it was MY bike. It had gotten me back into riding, and I had grown to really love that bike. I felt the same way when someone stole my Wally World Mongoose years ago, only this bike was far nicer.

Just as I began to wonder what they would do to make it right, he told me that they had a 2010 Specialized Stumpjumper they had just had donated to them. He was in the process of tuning it and they would give it to me in place of my stolen bike, since it happened on their watch. I could hardly believe it, maybe he had the model wrong? But I got to the shop and sure enough, there was a charcoal and white 2010 Stumpjumper Comp waiting for me, freshly tuned. I took it for a quick spin and... well, WOW. I thought my DB handled well, but this thing was buttery smooth in everything it did!

So this morning, I dropped off a 2007 Diamondback Response to be fitted for disc brakes, and this afternoon left with a Stumpjumper Comp. Part of me still feels mad for the theft of MY property... but the Stumpy seems to be very therapeutic. :)

See less See more
#2 ·
Wow Man! You must be living right! Congratulations on some good luck coming your way and enjoy your "new" bike!

And I'll add a big thumbs up to your lbs for their honesty and turning around a bad situation. Hat's off to them. If I were you I'd support them in every way possible.

#4 ·
Nearly had the same thing happen to me. I have a very common name. The LBS didn't realize there were two "Jonathan Jones" in the their database. Called the wrong one when the bike was ready and he said he'd be right in to pick it up. Thankfully, I ride with one of the mechanics and he was around to notice the wrong Jonathan was picking up my bike. I still don't understand how that dude thought he'd get away with it since they had all his info and how he was so quick on his feet when they called him. "Hey man, your bike is ready. Ummmm.....yea, be right there."

#7 ·
They've definitely earned my business, as far as I'm concerned. (though hopefully they tighten up security) Definitely want to pay it forward to them or just in general.

Just the one pic so far, took it last night as I was putting it to bed in my cluttered garage. ;) (apologies for the sideways photo... Uploading from my phone, doesn't want to turn it the proper orientation)

Attachments

#9 ·
around 20 years ago I bought a cannondale m400 that was a theft recovery ... it had been stolen from the shop along with other new bikes..... at some point they must have dropped the m400 and put a big scratch in the downtube.......the dumb kids went to school and bragged about stealing the bikes, one of the kids they bragged to was the son of a friend of the shop owner and the kids got arrested and the bikes were returned to the shop......I bought the cannondale for a reduced price during a end of the year sale and I hid the scratch with some automotive touch up paint.... that is ballsy to steal from a bike shop in the middle of the day

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.