Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner

Parts help

502 views 2 replies 3 participants last post by  ou2mame 
#1 ·
I'm a car guy, been buying parts for years, and worked for a parts store for a few years, I know how that game works. I went to my LBS the other day looking for brake pads, told counter dude what year make and model bike I had, thinking he would look it up on the ole computer, or grab a catalog....instead he just turns around, grabs a package off the wall and says here, these will probably fit. (he was wrong).

Is it me and my past dealing with car parts thinking bikes work that way too, did I get lucky and wind up with a "special" counter dude....or do bike parts not work like car parts?

#2 ·
You will be happier knowing exactly what you want when you go into a shop. In fact call ahead to make sure they have something.
Don't look now but auto parts stores hardly carry much beyond their store rebrand for a number of things. So they don't have to compete with name brands at online prices. So if you want a Gates or Goodyear serpentine or Akebono pads you have to go online or take a Dayco or Duralast.

#3 ·
Bikes aren't standardized cars. You need to know your brake brand and model. All bikes have brakes, but they aren't the bike dependent. . Just cause my bike came with one brake doesn't mean I didn't upgrade it. Plus, lbs' only deal with certain brands, and they are constantly changing. In 06 the specialized hardrock came with bb5s, now who knows. Nevermind the submodels. The guy should have clarified what model brakes you had, and if you don't know bring the bike.. Or at least the brake.

Sent from my 831C using Tapatalk

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.