Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner

Looking to buy a used bike... tips on what to look out for

957 views 9 replies 3 participants last post by  gzank6 
#1 ·
Looking for a used bike, I'm on a small budget so there's not a whole lot of bikes to look at. Was looking pretty hard at bikesdirect.com but now looking at the resale market, cl and ebay.

There's a 2000 specialized enduro pro close to me that i'm hoping to check out.

my question is... when looking in person at a used bike, what are some signs i can look for in a bike that would be a deal breaker.
thanks and appreciate your help.

where do frames and forks show their age most?

#2 ·
The most important thing in buying a used bike is finding one that fits you. Next is to find one that fits the kind of riding you'll do. Also, don't expect a 10 year old bike to work as if it were brand new without some TLC.

When inspecting a frame, the first place I usually look is under and around the bottom bracket. Thats a part of the bike that gets hit constantly. You really have to look closely to find hairline cracks. The head tube is another spot to check for those. Other things, like scratches, are to be expected. Just make sure there are no dents. Dings are okay but dents, depending on where they're located, can compromise the integrity of the frame.

#3 ·
The most important thing in buying a used bike is finding one that fits you. Next is to find one that fits the kind of riding you'll do. Also, don't expect a 10 year old bike to work as if it were brand new without some TLC.

When inspecting a frame, the first place I usually look is under and around the bottom bracket. Thats a part of the bike that gets hit constantly. You really have to look closely to find hairline cracks. The head tube is another spot to check for those. Other things, like scratches, are to be expected. Just make sure there are no dents. Dings are okay but dents, depending on where they're located, can compromise the integrity of the frame.
fitting your riding style into your budget isn't all the easy either. being new, i've tried a range of things, started out just to get some exercise on the trails, found i really like climbing but with that comes descending... which i've started to like too. so i'm trying to find a decent all mountain bike, or xc bike right now. and I don't mind giving an old bike some TLC, i'm accustomed to mainlining my old road bike.

#6 ·
You can probably check a few stores and see if you can find a 2013 Giant Talon 27.5 5 for a good sale. If you do find one, it would be around $400-500 (retails for $570). Maybe even save a few more and go get a new one. There are some nice bikes to be had at around that $500-700 price range. The Airborne Guardian is another one ($599) if you want a 29er.

#7 ·
but will those lower price shocks really hold up?
i've looked at the airborne and like them, them see a little better than other at that price range. i did see a "focus" (german made) bike out of jenson bikes, seemed also a better deal than most in its price range, $700. i don't have my mind set on a FS bike, but would like one. I was set on a 29er when thinking new just feel like i'm paying more for the wheel size and not getting great components and shocks or brakes.

#8 ·
I was set on a 29er when thinking new just feel like i'm paying more for the wheel size and not getting great components and shocks or brakes.
I find that a can be a pretty accurate assessment in a lot of cases.

Older Enduros can be fun bikes, but they did have a habit of cracking at the chainstays near the BB. I doubt I'd buy one at this point without having it checked out by an experienced bike mechanic who knows where to look for issues, unless it's obviously been very lightly used.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.