Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner

I just bought a bike, what other essentials are needed?

1K views 23 replies 19 participants last post by  Coaster Mech 
#1 ·
I just purchased a new Trek Stache, and the LBS has a special going, where all accessories are 20% off on initial order. I know that I need to buy a good air pump, pedals, helmet, bottle cages, and gloves, but what other things should i consider?

#5 ·
A good pair of bike shorts with a chamois pad.

Then go riding. Ride with more experienced riders and see what gear they use. You'll have plenty of time to decide what you want/need/use or won't use or don't need. If you try to get it all up-front, you're likely to end up with stuff you don't use.

#7 ·
Small first aid kit to put in your pack if you use one. Cleaner/greaser is needed eventually but not until you've got a few miles on the bike or you get it pretty dirty. A new bike should come all lubed up and ready to go. I've found most car/motorcycle lubes and cleaners work with bikes so I don't bother buying separate stuff.

Buy spare inner-tubes or the equipment to go tubeless. Ghetto tubeless with Stans should only cost you ~$50.

#15 ·
What u need partially depends on how far u ride from trail head/length of rides.

Primary is a decent helmet. Dont cheap out!!! Get one that fits properly.

Stock pedals are usually crap but they'll last u a little while till u decide on better.

Padded shorts is a good idea if u plan on riding more than about 30mins at a shot.

Normal floor pump honestly dont need to spend crazy money on, ffs I've used a $25 schwinn pump for the last 2 yrs works just fine.

Multitool is a good idea for quick trailside repairs. If u get a decent one (I swear by my crank brothers m19) it'll cover most tools ull need for at home maintenance as well. But get one with a chain breaker and see if u can get quick links (kmc missing links for example) from lbs.

Bottle cage, really only need one, if ur going in long rides a hydration pack is a much better investment.

Spare tube/patch kit not a bad idea. The slime "scabs" are great for trail side.
Sent from my Nokia Stupid Phone using Tapatalk

#20 ·
Camelbak or bottle/cage and seatbag.
Multi-tool
Tire pump
Patch kit
Spare tube
Shock pump

I recently moved to a CB from bottle because I was running out and started switching between two bikes. Much prefer it - more room, more water.

Gloves are great - I use fingerless but will go full finger soon enough.

#23 ·
Unless ur trek dealer sucks and keeps them all treks are supposed to include shock pumps when bike has air forks/rear shock. They literally come in the box with the partially assembled bike when its ordered in to the lbs. So if lbs didn't give it they are hording to sell at retail.

Sorry hopefully saving op from spending un needed money. My Trek dealer told me about this when I was ordering a shock pump for my new forks. One of the listings was the same one they include with new bikes.
Sent from my Nokia Stupid Phone using Tapatalk

#24 ·
I only seen lights mentioned once above. So I will say it again! Get some lights!! My girlfriend and I really enjoy our late night neighborhood rides. If you can't make it to the trail, night time city rides are the next best thing!

Also a good bike rack for getting your bike to the trails!

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.