Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner

Minor upgrades

841 views 6 replies 5 participants last post by  AndrwSwitch 
#1 ·
Hello all: I purchased a trek 820 a few months ago and have been working hard to get in shape. Riding the trails at Blankets Creek Mountain Bike Park in Georgia. Single track, hills, roots and rocks! I have eclipsed some of the bikes abilities. What are some recommendations to upgrade this bike? I have already dumped the plastic pedals (leaving parts behind, lol) for some shimano saints. Looking at changing the rear gear set 14-34 (freewheel) the drop from 24 to 34 is really unnerving at times. Looking at the shimano 13-28 seems like a easier transition through the gears to the low speed! Looking at buying a new bike in a year or so. Trying to get a better set up without spending too much. Thanks in advance. John...

#3 ·
Blankets Creek is awesome!

I have built and sold several Trek 820s and I am surprised that bike has held up at all at Blankets. the bike is barely a step up from a department store bike. if I recall correctly, Trek does not even label it as a "mountain bike" but there was a sticker on the bike that indicates it's a "path/touring bike." I hope that the bike shop that sold it to you made you aware of the limitations of this bike. I once had a customer bring a 820 in with a bent frame and there was nothing I could do for it. riding it in a place like Blankets is going to stress the bike beyond what the components were designed to handle rather quickly and maintaining the bike after a certain point will be a money pit.

there is little you can do that is cost-effective to that bike. I recommend you put some grippier tires on it though, as that is relatively cheap and will greatly improve the handling and your confidence on the bike. other than that, get it tuned regularly as the wheels are weak and prone to being bent. then save your money for a mountain bike.

#4 ·
Hey mack: Thanks for the reply! Yeah I feel that I am pushing the bike! 31 minutes on the dwelling loop! Just cannot get past that mark. Right now I am trying to get this body into some form of shape. Then as my ability and strengh return I look at a more advanced mountain bike. John...

#5 ·
Yeah I wouldn't dump any money into it unless you can move those parts over.. Pedals are a good move.. Tires you probably won't, but they will help you. Maybe some handlebars with a stem adapter for a threadless setup, depending on how it fits you. A seat is also helpful and can be used on your next bike.

Sent from my 831C using Tapatalk

#7 ·
Nothing wrong with getting your aspirational bike now if you want it and you can afford it.

I also don't think it would be so bad to put a freewheel without that crazy jump in it on your bike. It's about a $20 part. It's not like putting an expensive fork on or something. No, you won't get the $20 back. But if it's worth $20 to you to have a more reasonable shift at the bottom of your gear range, do it.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.