Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner

Upgrade current bike or save up?

1K views 15 replies 7 participants last post by  mtb_beginner 
#1 ·
Hello,

I bought a new Norco Storm in June 2013 for around $500; bare bones. Recently I've been riding a lot more on rough trails with some good climbs, downhill, and technical terrain... though I also ride it frequently on paved rural roads and multi-use dirt pathways.

I've always ridden fairly casually but starting to get into it heavily. Would it be a meaningful to invest another $500 in upgrading my basic HT and keep riding it for the time being? Or should I just start saving up for a decent XC or trail bike.

I imagine I'd be riding on rural roads 30-40% of the time, and varying/diverse trails for the rest of the time,

#2 ·
It really depends on your expectations. Selling it will get you around 250-300, and putting that 500 in will give you more to play with new or used.. Or, you could do a better fork and wheels for 500 and that'll be a huge improvement.

Sent from my 831C using Tapatalk

#3 ·
Well I'm a different bikes for different uses kind of guy, so I'd keep it and set it up for road use, and buy an upgraded MTB when budget allows.

Pretty much anything that makes it perform on the trail will suck on the road, and vice versa. This is where two bikes makes sense.

#4 ·
Pretty much anything that makes it perform on the trail will suck on the road, and vice versa. This is where two bikes makes sense.
Is that really the case? Generally a lot of the rides and trails in my area involving riding on paved roads or flat/wide dirt pathways to get to first.

A lot of my rides consist of me hitting both paved road and technical/challenging trail. Though if I had to choose one over the other I would want it to handle technical trails more so than roads, as that will be the bulk of my riding.

If that's the case would a high-end HT or full suspension XC or trail bike be the ticket?

#6 ·
Pedals, wheels, suspension fork, gear components.

You don't think an FS with low travel like 100mm - 125mm where I can lock out the suspension for roads and paths would suffice?

The thing is I'll be riding on technical trail 60-70% the time with large rocks, gnarly roots, steep drops and steep climbs. It can pretty tough on my HT.

#7 ·
I have a 3 mile ride to the nearest trail system,all on paved roads and I've tried it with my FS and it sucks,even when I locked out the fork...you stated you do a fair amount of traveling on paved/well groomed stuff before you get to the trails and a FS doesn't seem practical to me....I've had my FS for almost 16 years and I love it but I ride my HT more often than not but I grew up in the mid 80's riding my 20'' bmx on hiking trails and I like a more rigid bike,I like feeling every bump,every turn,it takes me back to my youth....The upgrades you mentioned can run anywhere from 450-700 bucks,depending on what you buy and a new bike like a HT Jamis Nemesis with good component group is about 800ish.....it boils down to what you wanna spend on your existing bike or shelling out a good amount of cash on a new one...think about where your skill level is at too and definitely go test ride some bikes if you can..

#9 ·
Well my current bike is a $400 Norco 6.2; so pretty low end and basic; it's a year and a half old now.

So my options to consider;

a.) Sink in another $500 or so and upgrade that bike...

b.) Sell it and buy a more high end HT for $1000+

c.) Put road bike wheels/tires on the Norco and save up for something like a Giant Anthem or Stance; or a Santa Cruz Superlight or Bantam.

As mentioned I do a signifigant ammount of riding or paved rural roads and mellow pathways, yet I hit very rough and technical trails frequent. There is also a possibility I'd be moving to an area that has a lift service mountain bike park in the future as well.

So hence why I'm a bit torn; I'd like something a more equipped to handle challenging rugged trails and downhill, and yet I don't want it to be horrible on pavement and for commuting.

I live on Vancouver Island currently though may be moving to the BC Interior.

#10 ·
Well my current bike is a $400 Norco 6.2; so pretty low end and basic; it's a year and a half old now.

So my options to consider;

a.) Sink in another $500 or so and upgrade that bike...

b.) Sell it and buy a more high end HT for $1000+

c.) Put road bike wheels/tires on the Norco and save up for something like a Giant Anthem or Stance; or a Santa Cruz Superlight or Bantam.
I would go with "b".

C is a possible option, but if you want something specifically for the road, it is hard to beat a road bike. BTW, if you do go the "c" route, just get new tires, your wheels are fine.

A is a waste of money, IMO.

#12 ·
Judging from the picture and specs of your Norco, it doesn't appear to be a great mountain bike, but instead a bike better suited for bike paths and maybe rail trails. You mentioned you wanted to upgrade the shock, wheels, drivetrain, and pedals. $500 wouldn't go very far with all of those upgrades.

You'd be much better off saving the cash and getting a higher end hardtail. FS is another option, but you will likely end up spending even more for a FS bike.

#13 ·
OP,if you get a chance take a look at chainreactioncycles.com I've met a half dozen guys who have purchased bikes from them,don't quote me but world wide shipping is 99 bucks and they have sick deals on bikes...my buddies in the US never paid duties and who knows how Canada works with there duties but just throwing another option out there..I'd save up and go a little higher end HT

#15 ·
Ok thanks,

So would a good HT bike in the $1000-1500 range be able to handle rugged trails with rooots, rocks, steep climbs and steep decents... better than an FS XC bike with a lockable suspension can handle paved roads?

Don't tires also have a lot to do with it? If you lock out the suspension on an FS, why is it still so bad on pavement?

#16 ·
Ok thanks,

So would a good HT bike in the $1000-1500 range be able to handle rugged trails with rooots, rocks, steep climbs and steep decents... better than an FS XC bike with a lockable suspension can handle paved roads?

Don't tires also have a lot to do with it? If you lock out the suspension on an FS, why is it still so bad on pavement?
A mid-range hardtail should be able to handle any trails, as long as you're physically fit to do it.

I'm afraid a decent FS with lockable suspension maybe out of your price range.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.