Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner

New Guy - Need a FS bike 13 GT Carbon 100 9r Elite or 12 Jamis Dakar XCT Pro

872 views 0 replies 1 participant last post by  earle52 
#1 ·
Hey folks!

I've been trolling the forum a bit and have found it very helpful. Thanks for all good info that's been provided already!

I ride mostly all mountain single track. Intermediate trails to be more specific. I've been looking at these two inexpensive carbon FS bikes.

Does anyone have any first hand experience with these?

2012 Jamis Dakar XCT PRO
2013 GT Zaskar Carbon 100 9r

I have a Fuji Nevada 1.7 29er now. It was a good starter bike to get me out on the trails. I've decided I'd like to get a lighter FS bike.

I haven't been able to find to much about the Dakar. I've read a few negative reviews for it on jenson's site about rigidity. I know it's an inexpensive bike so I'm not expecting it to be the most advanced thing out there but I'd like to know before buying it that others have had some good luck with it. It is also a 26er, and I really like the solid feel my 29er gives me now.

The GT looks to be a really well built frame, but has less travel and slightly inferior (albeit much better than what I have now) driveline, fork/shock. This is a 29er with a longer wheel base that will most likely give me that solid feel right?

I've only been riding a year. I know I don't know anything at this point. I know carbon at this level is probably silly. I still like the idea though.

Thoughts?

See less See more
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.