Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner

Recomendations on 29ers under $500

2K views 37 replies 12 participants last post by  Phinias 
#1 ·
I'm looking at the Specialized Hardrock, Giant Revel and Trek Marlins, any suggestions or other bikes I should look into ?

I've been looking on craigslist too, It'll mostly be used on paved trials and flat trails (I'm in Florida)...then maybe down the road I can them upgrade the components as my skills progress

#2 ·
i would look at bikesdirect.com... I've never bought anything from there however they tend to have good deals for entry level bikes that would likely save you money over the brands you've called out with similar components or better.

with so many options its tough to decide..

best of luck and post a picture once you've bought your bike.

#3 ·
i would look at bikesdirect.com... I've never bought anything from there however they tend to have good deals for entry level bikes that would likely save you money over the brands you've called out with similar components or better.

with so many options its tough to decide..

best of luck and post a picture once you've bought your bike.
Thanks for the reply..I've been looking at BD as well, my concern is getting the right fit and putting it together

#4 ·
I love Giant, but the Revel is not a true mountain bike... more of a hybrid. Thats probably fine for the type of rides you mentioned, but will be completely unsuitable for upgrading later as parts may or may not fit and the geometry would be all wrong. If Giant is local look at the Talon as that is their entry level 29er mountain bike. I can also highly recommend it, only real area of need for an upgrade is the fork eventually.

#9 ·
I just bought a 2014 Motobecane Fantom29 Sport for $400 shipped. I've only ridden it a few times but it defiantly is comparable to the big name brands. But if you don't know how to work on a bike I wouldn't recommend it. But for $400 it beats anything that my 2 LBS stores had in stock. Only problem is not being able to give them a test ride before you order which I just took a leap of faith and got what I wanted. Also Bikes direct has the Gravity 29Point1 which is $419 and speced better then my Motobecane but I overlooked it and bought the fantom but still it beats the Trek 3500 disc I sold to upgrade.

#10 ·
I just bought a 2014 Motobecane Fantom29 Sport for $400 shipped. I've only ridden it a few times but it defiantly is comparable to the big name brands. But if you don't know how to work on a bike I wouldn't recommend it. But for $400 it beats anything that my 2 LBS stores had in stock. Only problem is not being able to give them a test ride before you order which I just took a leap of faith and got what I wanted.
Did you use the "general"guidelines for sizing ?....if I go with an online bike, I can always have the bikeshop put it together for about $60 I just found out

#20 ·
I've been checking out craigslist almost every hour - i contacted one of the bikes listed on the list, (rockhopper 2010 model) and he's about $100 over bluebook. i'm hoping to get a clearance deal from a local bike shop

I'm 6'1 so I'm looking for a large frame

#24 ·
I started out on a trek 3500 disc which had singlewall rims. A lot of trek's entry level bikes are lower spec'ed then other brands. Honestly since its that time of the year LBS's need to clear the space for next years models you could score a deal on a nice 29er plus have support from your LBS if anything goes wrong. Although bikes direct does have a lot of large frames in stock for your height but I'd still recommend looking local first.

#30 ·
Nice. Great deal. Im in the same boat. Looking at the same exact 3 bikes. The revels r backordered. Didnt like the feel of the spesh. Deciding on what marlin to get. Prob gonna go with the 7. Lbs quoted $640. It has the double wall rims and upgraded cranks. Im 6' and 230lbs. Most lbs sold out of all 2014s. :(

#32 ·
I rode the talon and it did feel very nice, but I was set on a 29er. I'm in LI, NY and for some reason Giants are pretty rare around here (without traveling more than 45 minutes away). I would rather do business close to where I live. I rode the Marlin 7 and it did feel great too. 19.5" frame. It was a good fit, but I wanted to stay around the $500 range to see if the sport really grabs me. With someone my size though, I feel like double-wall rims and somewhat better cranks are a must. For safety reasons. That's why I'm looking at the Marlin 7.

I was even thinking of going Marlin 5 for $489 and getting the 3 year coverage for $50. But I gotta think of safety reasons. If I fall doing stupid stuff, whatever, but I don't want to fall due to skimping out on components.

#34 ·
Word of advice, the sport will grab you more on a capable bike, decent components and good fit. Nothing more frustrating than getting super entry level than becomming disillisioned because your skills out grows the bikes capabilities in a month or 2... Happened to me even on a $1000 dollar Talon 29er I picked up last year. I have already replaced it and now have a great bike to grow into.

Just word of caution from a fellow noob, go too cheap with a look and see approach and you will just end up replacing or refitting/upgrading within several months, or becomming too frustrated and quit the sport before giving it a try.

#35 ·
well, let me just say that the sport will grab me, I'm not sure if the trails will. I rode bmx my entire youth and loved it. But mtn biking around the trails here are different. Tight, technical turns, big climbs, and lots of hidden stumps, roots. trees.

My main concern is fit. $700 might be considered entry level for people in this forum, but I think it will serve me good for what I'm looking for. In a year or two I would just get something else, or upgrade.

Believe me. I'm riding a pacific mtn bike that I bought at BJ's right now. Well, actually I can't ride it. I'm slumped over so low that my hands turn numb! The Marlin will be a BIG step up.

#36 ·
Fit absolutely, was only trying to pass along some lessons I have recently learned. I have gone through a few pedal sets recently ending up with some rather expensive flats that I love and will use for years and hopefully on many bikes. Also the same with saddles... my lesson just buy the good stuff and it is cheaper in the long run. I am sure you will get every dollars worth out of your new bike, enjoy and see you on the trails.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.