Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner

New Bike Day! 2014 Motobecane Fantom29 Sport

2K views 5 replies 4 participants last post by  velo99 
#1 ·
I know not everyone here cares for Bikes Direct bikes and the mrsp's on their website are insane but I ordered a 2014 Motobecane Fantom29 Sport to replace my trek 3500 disc that really wasn't suited to trails. I have some experience working with bikes so I decided to take the plunge and see if the the rumors were true. I would have preferred to by from a LBS or used but my choices locally are extremely limited.

Assembly took about 3-4 hours but I went very slowly making sure everything was greased and tight. Tuning it up was a breeze as it was not to far off to my surprise although it could still use some fine tuning. I took it for a 7 1/2 mile ride on a local paved rail trail and almost everything is running smoothly except the front derailleur needs tuned a bit more as it throws the chain shifting for 2nd to 3rd sometimes. The tires ride nice and smooth on the pavement plus the fork lockout is cool. After some more adjustments I plan on hitting some trails maybe tomorrow with the group MTB ride.

Attachments

See less See more
#5 ·
Well I've got it tuned up and its not throwing the chain anymore shifts nice quick and smooth. I should have never bought the trek 3500 even though it was a decent hybrid bike. Trek seems to spec their entry level bikes with low end components but charge that same as the competition does if not more. Used from the other LBS in town would have been a better deal. But it did its job and got me hooked on biking so it was worth the $400 + tax I paid for it but I don't think I'll ever buy a new trek again at least not from that LBS. I was unable to hit any trails today but I will ASAP. Also I ordered some carbon fiber headset spacers just for looks and to match my helmet =).

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.