Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner

My new 2014 Kona Lanai

6K views 21 replies 7 participants last post by  RaptorTC 
#1 ·
Hey everybody just picked up this bike first semi decent bike I've ever owned. So what upgrades do you all think would be good? Has Altus derailleurs, Novela Textro discs, and Suntour XCT 100 mm fork. I wasn't crazy bout the warning sticker I found on the fork after bringing it home that basically said not for hard riding. I'm 5'11 270 if that helps and don't plan on getting crazy with it but want quality stuff that's gonna hold up. Any advice is truly appreciated.
Thanks,
Todd Bicycle tire Bicycle frame Tire Bicycle wheel Bicycle wheel rim

See less See more
#7 ·
Its your money, but I agree with rangerdave. If they work, then ride. If they break, then you can always replace with an upgrade.

Of the upgrades I did when I was at your "phase", the fork made the most difference. And I won't pitch any particular fork. But, for the most part, the more you pay the better the fork.

Wheels are also a very noticeable upgrade...but can get expensive.

I would definitely plan on moving up from Atlus, but again, not until it broke.

Happy spending!

#8 ·
Yeah I don't plan on upgrading anything till it breaks or wears out. I come from a motorcycle background so was always searching for more power an less weight. So when it comes to bikes not sure how to even size an upgrade like a fork so just trying to see what my options are so please just let me know what could possibly work such as the epicon. I'm used to showa and kayaba and either regular or inverted. So let the brand names flow so I can research. I'm a sponge of knowledge at the moment.

#9 ·
Cheap forks suck. They suck the energy and fun out of you. They don't have controllable rebound, no damper.. All they do is bounce. A good fork is like your high school gf who was a grade behind you. You can tune it to your perfection, and it will be predictable. A cheap fork? That's that **** you met in a bar with anger management issues who is stuck raising her little sister on her own cause their mother is in jail for prostitution.

Sent from my 831C using Tapatalk

#10 ·
Another thought on fork upgrade is that you can invest in a good fork, take good care of it and move it forward to another bike (provided wheel size is common). I said above, that I wouldn't pitch any particular fork...but I am a fan of Fox. So, maybe you want to explore their site. Budget is a big factor. But, application is also a factor. I.e. you don't want to put a big old 180mm DH fork on a XC bike designed for 100mm travel. If you decide to go down this route, there is a ton of existing threads already or you can ask about some specific forks in the "Shocks and Suspension" sub-forum.

#11 ·
I hear ya ou2. So what's not a cheap fork? I know there's rock shox and I think Marzocchi? Or would these not work how do I know what would work do I go by stanchion size? Or head tube diameter? I don't have triple clamps so I'm kinda lost. Teach me oh lords of the pedal driven.

#22 ·
Not the same company, well, at least since the late 70's. From what I've read they were founded by brothers though.

Anyway, I'm on the ride it till it breaks bandwagon. Also on the bandwagon of the fork being the most important upgrade for an entry level bike. I had a Specialized Hardrock from the early 2000's that came with a pogo stick of a fork. Upgraded to disk brakes, which required a new fork with the proper mounts. Went with a Rock Shox Tora that really improved the ride of the whole bike.

#13 ·
There's so many forks but there are only a few in specific classes and price points. Judging from your bike, you'd be looking at xc forks, in the 100 to 120 range. Rock shox recon, Reba, sector, suntour epicon and raidon, the fox float 32 and other 100-120 travel varieties, marzocchi marathon, manitou marvel, match, minute and r7.. I've been fork shopping for a few weeks now and I've narrowed it down to those anyways..

Sent from my 831C using Tapatalk

#14 ·
Did you buy new through a shop? If you did, when you want to upgrade the fork, you can go through Suntour's upgrade program and get an Raidon or Epicon much cheaper than a fork from the open market.

But I'm in the camp that you should just ride it until stuff breaks and see how it goes. By that point you'll have a better idea of what to upgrade and whether you're going to stick with the sport (and so it's worth it to splash down good money on gear).

#17 ·
I don't plan on leaving the sport I've been a dirt biker all my life start tearing it up on a BMX bike back in the day moved to cheap mtb then to motorized moto-x but always had a pedal version around somewhere. Always wanted a decent mtb and finally got it. If I don't do something with it the wife will never let me get another so gotta do it lol.

#18 ·
As to whether you can go to a 120mm fork through the upgrade program: I think you should be able to. Your bike has 27.5 in wheels, correct? If so, it looks like the Raidons you can upgrade to have 120mm as an option. I wouldn't imagine that it would really adversely affect the geometry.

#21 ·
Ride/Break/Replace/Upgrade.

If you're not an experienced rider, use what you have, so when you screw up and bust it, you're not replacing the higher end component right out of the gate. Once you get your feet wet and you're good to go, start upgrading what you need to upgrade, after needs are taken care of, go with wants. As a clyde as well, wheelset and suspension are needs. Tektro brakes aren't the bees knees, but they'll get the job done for now. After you get a good solid wheel set, and a solid fork (I prefer RS air forks over Fox, but that's just me), you can start with brakes/shifters/etc.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.