Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner

Beware I-Spec shifter users!!!

894 views 3 replies 2 participants last post by  mtb_beginner 
#1 ·
Better check and make sure the screws that mount your I-Spec shifters to the brake levers are secured with threadlocker. If not, it's a catastrophe waiting to happen.

I learned this the painful way this afternoon at our local trail. The front shifter fell off and got caught in the front wheel spokes. The sudden front wheel lock caused me to get thrown over the bar. Instinct helped me avoid a head injury (flat pedals played a big role here). I only ended up with bruises on my legs and arm.

Don't simply trust your LBS to take care of stuffs like this for you. If you can do it yourself, better safe than sorry.

#3 ·
The way the mounting is designed makes it hard to tell when it gets loose during the ride. Shifter feel doesn't change. The fact that it's a front shifter which I don't touch as often as the rear, didn't help. Once the screw gets loose, it can fall off in a matter of minutes. The roots in the trail may have caused enough vibration to do it.

If you got i-spec shifters, try loosening the screw. You'll be surprised how it doesn't take more than a couple turns to get it very loose.

By the way I'm using I-Spec B. I don't know if the A version have the same screw tension.

#4 ·
Waking up this morning, I realized I also got swollen right hand, left shoulder, and right knee.

It's so infuriating to experience a crash not because of riding skill, but due to mechanical failure.

Whoever designed that I-spec mount, I hate you right now. :mad:

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.