Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner

Fork Upgrade: From 120mm to 130 or 140?

13K views 17 replies 6 participants last post by  gianrond 
#1 ·
Hi Guys!

I'm new here, and I would like to receive a few advice regarding a fork upgrade which I am about to do on my bike.

I currently have a Canyon Nerve XC 7.0, year 2012, which is a trail bike with 120mm travel on the front and on the back.

I use the bike for aggressive trail/AM, and since I'm quite disappointed with the Fox Float 32 which is currently installed on the bike, I was thinking of upgrading it, both in travel and quality.

1) Quality wise, I'd go for a Sektor RL or a Revelation RL, and I can't decide between the two. Yet, given the big price difference, I'd rather stick to the first one - which is supposed to be very good - than to the rev. I know rev is a great fork, but is it worth the extra money? I can get a Sektor RL 2014 brand new for 220€, whereas the Rev RL would cost at least 360/370€. Price difference is quite significant, and probably not worth it. But correct me if I'm wrong.

2) Travel wise, I can't decide between installing a 130mm fork, or a 140. I'm not too concerned to mess up with the geometry, but what does concern me is the risk to crack the frame.
The A2C length of the Fox 32 120mm that I currently have, is 491mm. However, Canyon recommends installing a fork of 500mm +- 5, so the range would be between 495 and 505.
Both the Sektor and the Rev @ 130m would be long 509mm, which I think is totally fine. Consequently, at 140 the forks would be long 519mm.

Do you guys reckon that putting a 519mm A2C long fork on this frame would be too much, even if the travel would only go up by 2cm? Or do you think is fine?
The angle would change by about 1.5°, from 69.5 to 68. I think this would be fine, as right now I feel that the bike is weight is a bit too much on the front wheel, to my taste.

What about the frame though? Is it really going to crack with such a small change?

Cheers!

Gianluca

See less See more
#2 ·
I think it really depends on how you want the bike to handle. I have an am frame and when I was running a 140 I found it more difficult to climb technical hills especially with turns and roots and stuff because of the flex. If you're using all of your travel and need more than it would probably be be something to try, but you will notice a difference in handling and ride.

Sent from my 831C using Tapatalk

#3 ·
I think it really depends on how you want the bike to handle. I have an am frame and when I was running a 140 I found it more difficult to climb technical hills especially with turns and roots and stuff because of the flex. If you're using all of your travel and need more than it would probably be be something to try, but you will notice a difference in handling and ride.

Sent from my 831C using Tapatalk
What about the risks with the frame?

#5 ·
You might want to email the manufacturer and see if they have a max travel / max a2c spec'd for the bike.

Still, since your bike is typically shipped as a complete bike only (no frame only option) they may tell you the stock 120mm is the max, for liability reasons. If so tough call. I definitely wouldn't go past 140mm whatever you do.

#6 ·
You might want to email the manufacturer and see if they have a max travel / max a2c spec'd for the bike.

Still, since your bike is typically shipped as a complete bike only (no frame only option) they may tell you the stock 120mm is the max, for liability reasons. If so tough call. I definitely wouldn't go past 140mm whatever you do.
They said that "changing the travel will change the geometries of the bike as well, and that the frame is only tested to work with 120mm".

However, the Nerve AM has an identical frame, except for the area under the seat which looks slightly reinforced and a bit thicker. Around the steering though, the two frames are identical.

A few years back though, Canyon used to say that it was ok to fit a 140mm into that frame. Or, at least, this what other guys from other forums have reported.

The 130mm Sektor would only 4mm more than the factory a2c. The 140 option would be 14mm more the factory a2c, but 28mm above the current set-up (with the Fox which is 491). Is this a lot? Or is it generally considered to be safe?

#10 ·
Changing travel will definitely change the geometry of the bike. I would seriously look at a custom rebuild and tune from a company such as Push. Bikes are designed around certain parameters and once you change one of those it changes the entire ride. You may love it, but you could also hate what you have done. Personally, I would not make the change.

#14 ·
Fair a few.

1) It's by far too progressive. If I set it up correctly (25% sag), I only get to use 8.5/9cm out of 12, even on jumps and drops and it's extremely hard on uneven terrain. If, however, I let some air out to use more travel and get better performances on small bumps and roots, then the fork dives too much and on big drops and jumps is really awful. I also tried the air chamber volume mod...it helped a bit, but still not enough.

2) It's expensive to service, and the service intervals are a bit too short.

3) I wanted to gain some travel...1cm won't be much, but is still better than nothing

4) My current Fox is 9QR and I wanted to go 15mm axle-thru (this is not Fox's fault, but still one of the reasons that makes me want to get something stiffer and nicer).

A new Fox would be by far too expensive...hence, Rockshox :)

#15 ·
Are you looking at the sektor RL solo air(a little bit heavier than the Rev) or the coil version(heavy)?

I haven't used a Sektor yet, but I do have a Revelation RL Solo air(140mm) and I can say it is fantastic. At 130mm travel or less, 32mm stanchions work great. I have put a lot of hours on it this season and it is ready for a cleaning and new oil, but still performs great.

If you service the forks yourself, they are not expensive.

If you have a 9mm axle right now, you will need a new hub, or a hub conversion(if you have nice hubs) in order to run a 15mm axle.

#16 ·
Are you looking at the sektor RL solo air(a little bit heavier than the Rev) or the coil version(heavy)?

I haven't used a Sektor yet, but I do have a Revelation RL Solo air(140mm) and I can say it is fantastic. At 130mm travel or less, 32mm stanchions work great. I have put a lot of hours on it this season and it is ready for a cleaning and new oil, but still performs great.

If you service the forks yourself, they are not expensive.

If you have a 9mm axle right now, you will need a new hub, or a hub conversion(if you have nice hubs) in order to run a 15mm axle.
I'm looking at the Sektor RL solo air.

I will service the fork myself in the future...

As for the hub, I already have a 15mm compatible hub. I actually replaced the old wheel with a new one (mavic crossride disc), as the old hub wasn't compatible.

Can I expect a big improvement in stiffness between the 9qr and 15mm?

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.