Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner

Help: Should I sell this bike, or try to make it work?

817 views 5 replies 5 participants last post by  velo99 
#1 ·
I bought this bike a couple years ago, then moved to Kauai so it sat around for a couple years. I love the bike, but it is just way to heavy for what I do (37lbs). I have no idea what it is worth anymore. Looking for a bike that is easier to peddle around the trails on but that I can still have plenty of fun with on the down hill. Just seems every time I get to go out with my step dad we are going up hill much more than cruising down.

Anyways any thoughts would be great. I am wondering how much I should sell this for? Also wondering if I should maybe trade it/just get different parts. Ill post pictures because I know very little about it.

DiamondBack Mission 3. I know the front shock is a rock shock todum, kenda nevegal tires, and that's about it.

Thanks guys :)

Attachments

See less See more
#2 ·
That is one bike from DB that I really like. Love the knuckle box suspension, but to get that weight down to something more manageable (30lb range), its going to cost quite a bit of money and probably more than you paid for the bike.

It looks to be a 2008 model and that came with a Rock Shox Pike fork and XT components. I would say $1000 would be a good starting price to try and sell that bike, but you'll probably get offers closer to $800.

#3 ·
If that is the totem fork I think you can adjust the travel by cutting the spring slightly or finding a shorter one and putting some bushings inside. I had a friend who did that years ago. It's probably a ***** to climb with cause the front is so high. Selling it and buying another, that depends on how attached you are to it. Bringing the fork down to 140 or 130 could make it more manageable uphill but keep the downhill feel still.

Sent from my 831C using Tapatalk

#5 ·
It's not the weight. But you could certainly be sabotaging yourself other ways.

First things first: is it comfortable to ride and pedal? To my eye, the saddle is low or the bars are high.

Next, what tires are those? How wide?

Finally, what does your suspension do when you pedal? Do you ever climb out of the saddle? What does your suspension do then?

Come to think of it, what part of your foot do you place on your pedal? What's your cadence like?

You'll probably take a bath selling this bike, but if you're curious, go to some demo days. It'll probably solidify your decision one way or the other. But I think it's worth "fastering" this bike if you don't spend much on it.

#6 ·
Looks to me like you have it set up for downhill. Unless you're 4' tall the saddle is too low. Revaluate your setup for trail rather than downhill & you'll probably be happier with it.
Either buy a dropper or lower your saddle when you go on a big time downhill run.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.