Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner

How about the giant revel for a newb? Or other suggestions?

798 views 10 replies 3 participants last post by  Johnq 
#1 ·
I was big into bmx for my entire teen life. I still have my S&M Holmes. 15 years later i discovered all these tight technical trails all over long island. Thought i would relive my bmx glory days through this new sport. Anyway, im 35, 6' and 230lbs. My pacific BJ's bike is a joke. I knew it when i bought it. Im all hunched over and my hands turn numb. All the weight is on my hands. Been looking at a new bike in the $500 range. The biggest thing for me is comfort. If the sport doesn't catch and
the thing rots in my garage im not out big bucks. If i end up loving it i will buy a new bike in 1-2 years. So, here is what im thinking:

tried a 19.5 trek marlin and it fit very nice. Then i started looking at the xcaliber but realized $750 was too much. Tried the spesh hardrock and i felt too much pressure on my hands again. Then tried a 2014 giant talon and it fit soooo good but it was 650b and was kind of set on a 29er. The talon was going for $520. He said he has a 2014 giant revel 29er boxed that goes for about $20 less. So im going to try that when he builds it. Some dealers even suggested that i get a 21" frame. The talon and revel were both large size. I just felt more upright and comfy on the giant.

Im trying to make sense of all the components. Im really looking for something that will hold up enough for me to decide wether this sport is for me, or if my lungs are for this sport. Im no stranger to bunny hoping and might be a bit rough on the bike. There are really no jumps on the trails i have ridden but they have crazy technical turns and some small drops.

What are your thoughts? Really appreciate it. Ps. Been to about 5 different bikes stores and all i have really seen are specialized, and trek. Mostly trek. Prefer to buy something i can test ride first.

See less See more
#3 ·
Hey buddy. Im in ptjeff. Checked out carl hart. Campus bike in stony brook. The giants are at the bicycle company in smithtown. the guy is really nice and helpful.

Im driving myself nuts comparing entry level bikes. I need to remind myself that its a transition bike. The giant revel seems like a leisure comfort bike. Wondering if its trail rated or if i should just go with the talon.

#4 ·
Honestly until you step out of the suntour x series forks you're going to be pushing it on anything besides gravel and light trails. I ride cathedral and rocky point, and I really wouldn't want the suntour in either. Have you checked out any uses bikes on Craigslist? Port jeff has a huge biking community. Everything I buy on cl I end up over there lol

As for the revel vs talon, I dunno.. I hate giving people advice when it comes to lower budgets because there's just so much compromise. My advice? Get a bikes direct bike and throw an epicon fork for 200 on it and be done lol.. Besides that, all lower end bikes are going to be the same, relative to their price range. The talon has alivio f/r derailleurs and the revel mixes a tourney in as the front. 8 speed for the revel 9 speed for the talon, not a big difference.. Pretty much the same fork, same budget wheels.. One has a giant branded hub one had a formula hub.. So I dunno side by side I don't think the talon is worth the money at all.

Sent from my 831C using Tapatalk

#9 ·
Im not going to upgrade the parts later since it seems like a waste. Id rather just save for a better bike in the 1k range if the sport really hooks me. It all depends on the trails. Not really into the super tight technical and hate climbing. The one off belle meade road was a bit too stop and go. And glacer ridge had a lot of climbs. But some great down hills. Its seems thats what long island has to offer. Id be right at home with a low-key bmx track. Id rather go around in a circle all day than ride trails that are full of roots and obstacle that exist to impair the rider. Not a fan of catching my pedals on stumps and hitting trees and having to slow down to take a sharp turn and then climb a steep mountain. Lol. I might even like cross country.

Going to try rocky point trails. Ive only been on the trails twice. Like i said if the trails are not to my liking then i will prob sell the bike or use it occasionally.

#10 ·
Yeah long island riding is a bit rooty and twisty... A lot of that is because there's not a tremendous amount you space so they make the most of it with loops but the dec has a huge say in what turns are where because of free undercutting and whatnot. I ride meadowlark almost everyday but it's exactly what you hate, rooty, technical, trees, turns, and climbs.. But I'm in pretty good shape because of it lol.. Riding the beach in a fat bike is a lot of fun. Stay away from Glacier 8 too then... Maybe check out edgewood? Cathedral Pines isn't too bad either, thats more flowy and flattish.

Sent from my 831C using Tapatalk

#11 ·
Thanks, I'll check those out. Glacier ridge in Farmingville seems like the most "all-around". A lot of the BD trails have some really good downhills and drops and not an insane amount of climbing.

I gonna have to prowl my neighborhood and ask the kiddies where the local "hidden" tracks are. Sounds a bit too creepy.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.