Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner

Sheesh, why did I procrastinate so long................????

745 views 3 replies 3 participants last post by  jhatfie 
#1 ·
I am no stranger to two wheels. I rode a ton as a kid and had a motocross bike at an early age and road raced motorcycles with WMRRA and OMRRA for almost 8 years before quitting in 2002. But after I quit I did not touch anything with two wheels for years.

A few years ago, I picked up a on sale Specialized Hardrock with the intention of hitting the trails. It pretty much never happened as I was so busy with my infant daughter and other work/family obligations. A couple years later I figured 'd get my son a Motobecane and it would be something awesome we could do together. I even joined this site for advice and motivation. He hated it and still does. Wife is not interested, friends do not ride, so thus my bike was mostly relegated to towing my daughter in her Burley.

This year I decided screw it, it is time for me to do something I enjoy even if I have to do it by myself. So I did and had a blast. After a handful of rides I decided I wanted a better bike, got an Intense Tracer 275 on sale and have put close to 100 miles on it thus far and love it so much. I am having so much fun learning how to ride the different terrain. I am ashamed and sad it has taken me this long to get going, but I fully intend to not slow down this time.

#3 ·
I get minimal buy-in from my wife, or from friends from other contexts. I rode with a club that wasn't a great fit for me for a while. I don't see most of them, but ended up making some independent relationships with a couple more ambitious members. And, I joined a racing team.

I still do most of my riding alone. It's a lot easier to schedule. But I also have other people to ride with on occasion, talk bikes with, etc. Easier to make friends with some people who ride then to try to get my non-riding friends into it.

#4 ·
I may have to go this route. Not that I need someone to ride with, but I find riding with someone, particularly someone that is better than you are, often increases the speed in which you learn and progress.

Maybe I should hit a class or two as well. I found that when I was road racing motorcycles, even though I had a few podiums, I still had much to learn and took a couple track day classes from Mike Sullivan that helped me go even faster and some of the contacts I met while doing it became good racing friends.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.