Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner

Rain jacket: Bike specific or not?

4K views 14 replies 11 participants last post by  Mr Pig 
#1 ·
Not sure if this is the right place to ask this question?

For riding in the rain is it better a bike specific jacket, or a lightweight hiking jacket? Bearing in mind that I will also be using for bikepacking and so weight is important.

#2 ·
One thing you'll find with good biking jackets are they run a little long in the sleeves and tail to better fit while in a riding position and to give a little extra coverage to keep the spray from your back wheel from turning your crack into a creak. Some also have a larger volume hood to fit over a helmet and maybe some patches of tougher material in likely scuff points. Nice touches for sure, but none of them are totally necessary.

#3 ·
Agreed. Also, there is a bikepacking forum. They may have good advise. Bikepacking may be something that requires some specific characteristics beyond just saving weight, since it's multi-day in a variety of weather. I have found that the best material that I've come across so far is the "Dry Q Elite" that Mountain hardware uses. It's breath-ability is phenomenal. "Schoeller C-Change" is a close second. eVent is up there, too.

#4 ·
Second post is spot on; I'll add that running gear works well for me, as does believe it or not, golf stuff. I have a super lightweight PING rain jacket that works great and cleans off well. The bit about the tailoring features is the only thing that is different (IMO) in biking specific clothing.

#6 ·
I've used non-bike specific rain jackets for a very long time. I bought my first one this spring, a high-vis jacket for commuting. it has a blinkie light, reflective areas, and that sort of stuff. Endura is the company that made it. I bought it when winter gear started going on sale this spring for this coming fall/winter.

I don't intend to wear it on the mtb. I currently use an old Marmot Precip jacket. I don't really recommend that one. The waterproof liner doesn't react to sweat very well. This is the second one I've owned that is beginning to delaminate. Marmot replaced the first one at no charge to me. They might replace this one, too, if I asked. I don't think I will. There is something fundamental about the construction of this jacket that doesn't react well to sweat and causes it to fall apart. I will be looking for something else when I decide this one is ready for the bin.

#8 ·
I don't intend to wear it on the mtb. I currently use an old Marmot Precip jacket. I don't really recommend that one. The waterproof liner doesn't react to sweat very well. This is the second one I've owned that is beginning to delaminate. Marmot replaced the first one at no charge to me. They might replace this one, too, if I asked. I don't think I will. There is something fundamental about the construction of this jacket that doesn't react well to sweat and causes it to fall apart. I will be looking for something else when I decide this one is ready for the bin.
This is odd. I am not sure which Marmot I have currently (picked up last year at REI, made for climbing/backpacking), but I was going to highly recommend it. I wonder if your sweat is very acidic? Anyway I payed close to $400 for mine but it was the lightest availible and because it is cut for climbing it works amazing for biking (long gusseted arms, longer length, and Hood cut for a helmet). You do not need to spend as much either.

#7 ·
I found that biking specific jackets have longer rear sections, which help keep your backside dry when your leaning over and riding. Standard waterproof jackets tend to ride up a bit when you lean forward, which exposes stuff your trying to keep dry!

#9 ·
As well as fitting properly, bike jackets also tend to have pockets in the right places, good air vents etc. One Gore jacket I have has sleeves that zip off and a pocket on the back to store them in. It's great as it's often chilly when you set out in the morning but gets warm when the sun gets up.

Good bike clothes tend not to be cheap but they do work better.

#11 ·
I have two good options. I have a Showers Pass Elite 2.1, which is a hard shell jacket. It breathes really well and has big honkin' pit zips for when that's not enough. Expensive, but it's been better than other hard shell jackets I've owned.

I also have a Castelli rain jersey. It's not as water resistant but it breathes and fits like a normal (normal to me, so fitted, not baggy) cycling jersey. Pretty awesome. I think it uses one of the new Gore-tex softshell fabrics. It doesn't have a fleeced inside, but it does have some stretch.

#12 ·
Cheers for the responses - I popped into my LBS yesterday and they had Gore bike wear jackets (not sure which one - but it cost 230 euros!!!) Plus they have Vaude gear which I like, is priced reasonably and would also look good off the bike. So for this year I have decided to wait a little and carry on using my old RaceFace jacket from 10 years ago, which although heavy still more or less does the job it was intended to do.

But I have read in other places here and other forums that the Gore Bike Wear, whilst expensive, does do its job very well. Living in the Italian Alps and planning another transalp type tour next year, the jacket does need to work very well at mainly keeping me warm when it is wet n windy!

#13 ·
I have read in other places here and other forums that the Gore Bike Wear, whilst expensive, does do its job very well. Living in the Italian Alps and planning another transalp type tour next year, the jacket does need to work very well at mainly keeping me warm when it is wet n windy!
I wore my fist Gore jacket until it was done and put off buying another one because they are so expensive. Eventually I gave in though. I haven't found anything else that works as well. Don't get me wrong, maybe other expensive jackets work just as well but the cheaper stuff doesn't. It's the combination of being shower-proof, wind-proof yet being reasonably breathable. Most cheaper jackets sweat you like a pig. Gore stuff does too but it's not as bad.

I ride all year round, including almost freezing temperatures. It's hard to get a jacket that will work all the time but if you only buy one you're better to get a lighter one. As long as you get one that's loose enough you can add layers underneath it but if a jacket is too warm there is nothing you can do. Cycling keeps you warm and I found that a very light Gore shell worked fine in almost all temperatures. I have a thicker jacket I do wear in the winter though, like I say it's more or less impossible to get one jacket that will do everything.

My tip is to get one that's as flexible as possible. If it has a lining, can you take it out, sleeves that come off etc so that you can adapt the jacket to the conditions because they change all the time. And rather than buy a thick jacket get a thinner one and a bunch of layers you can swap in and out as needed.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.