Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner

Did I just spend $2k on the wrong bike??? 12 hours to decide...

1K views 7 replies 6 participants last post by  AndrwSwitch 
#1 ·
I could't resist the end-of-season sales. I ride a steel-frame touring bike currently, but when I hopped on a Giant Defy Comp 1, whizzed through the streets and was offered a $600 discount, I felt the time was right.

Only problem is, a neighbouring store had a Felt F5X for the same money. A bit heavier (by .5kg), a bit lower in the groupset (SRAM Rival vs. Ultegra), but cyclocross styling, sexier design, and disc brakes (mechanical).

80% of my riding is in-city (Toronto), but on occasion I do hit some local trails/beaches where I think the ride would be perfect for cyclo (for those of you who know the city, DVP trail, Martin Goodman, Cherry Beach etc.).

I can only really afford one performance MT/road bike for the next 2-3 years. Did I make a mistake on the Giant??? She's sitting in the shop waiting for my formal fitting...

Thanks!!

#3 ·
I didn't like SRAM Rival. Or any of their road groups. I couldn't get used to DoubleTap. And my right-hand shifter actually broke on me. I'd bought the bike from a friend, so no warranty. That bike has Shimano now.

I don't know Toronto. I ride my cyclocross bike on trails on occasion. It has a lower speed limit on dirt and rocks and roots, and demands a lot more attention. If you expect this to ride like a mountain bike, you're going to be disappointed.

You don't need a $2000 road bike. Or mountain bike, for that matter.

Is the 20% trail riding important to you? Are we talking singletrack or something graded and with a hardened surface? Do people push strollers and run on them?

#4 ·
You won't be disappointed with the Defy unless it doesn't fit right. It's a great bike! However it seems like you're leaning towards the Felt. Get the one that fits the best and put on the miles. I have 3 Giants and don't regret any of them. But I will say I love my TCX (cyclocross) the best for all around riding.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

#5 ·
I have Rival on my Ridley and love it. Since SRAM has less road groups than Shimano, supposedly Rival is supposed to be a half step above 105. I have a little over 2k miles on my Rival and it's been great. Other than replacing the chain, the drivetrain has been flawless.

I'm sure they both work great, but I find it a bit goofy that you have to move the whole lever to upshift the Shimano.

Personally I think cross bikes are the way to go, as they can be easily made into road bikes with a tire change, but the reverse isn't true for road bikes being used as cross bikes.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.