Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner

Howdy?!

938 views 3 replies 3 participants last post by  madbadger 
#1 ·
Hi everyone!

New here, but not new to bikes. I have a Scott Aspect 60 that I bought about four years ago which has now been reduced to a single speed, thanks to getting trashed in the snow of Madison, WI. At least it was fun getting to break the gears!

I've gotten into motorcycling recently, and that has made me a bit more maintenance-savvy, and would like to build the Scott back up again. I have a bit more experience with tools when I volunteered with 'Wheels for Winners' in Madison, but don't really have access to many specialized tools anymore.

I've moved to Pineville, LA about two years ago and have brought my bike down with me to have the stock Scott Ozon 26x2 rear tire rip and burst the tube when I hit some trails in the northern part of the state. I've heard that biking is good for developing a strong core, which is what I need to build for riding the motorcycle on the racetrack. Also, could help with saving some fuel for commuting.

This isn't the most bike friendly place on the planet, but I figured I'd give it a shot... my commute is about seven miles one way. I've got safety lights and all from my time in Madison. One question I have, is when looking for replacement tires, could I put road tires on my mountain bike? Something not quite as knobby that should help me ride at a faster pace on the streets. If yes, any recommendations for the size (I will begin using the search bar! If this is anything like motorcycle forums, I'll be sure to get flamed for questions like this!) I remember trying to keep a good pace on the old tires took a great effort!

I haven't got any pictures at the moment, but I'll grab some when I get off of work later this evening.

See less See more
#4 ·
Thank you so much, guys.

Sorry, I've been off the interwebs lately. Thank you for the tire recommendation, huffster. Knowing pretty much zilch about bikes, I'm probably just going to get these.

I've recently realized that the front forks are completely seized and might need a complete rebuild if she's going to be trail-worthy any time soon.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.