Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner

Newby: First Post

543 views 5 replies 5 participants last post by  eb1888 
#1 ·
Greetings to all... As it's my first post, not sure of the culture here, whether I should be on a "repair" link of the forum?
I have a Schwinn Sidewinder "Mountain Bike", I say that with quotes, because it was 1982 and at the very beginning of the MTN bike era. it's basically a steel framed beast, with 2.25 tires and a 10 speed derailleur. I've put a lot of miles on it, some in back woods, most though on bike paths and street.
It's been in the garage for quite a while and recently I've begun riding again, and it needs help. Wheels rusted, cable guides dry rotted. Anyway, I'm pretty mechanically inclined so was going to try to refurbish it myself and was wondering where to post questions about stuff like replacing cables, possibly replacing the rear derailleur (I don't think Long, Short cages even existed when I bought this bike, plus I don't know what that means?)... Anyway....if someone could point me in the right direction, I'd be appreciative. thanks to all...

#6 ·
I'd do the cables/housing first. You may not need a new rear derailleur.
This $19 kit from REI is one of the best. It will make any shifter/derailleur set, if still capable, perform really well.
Novara Shift Cable Kit at REI.com
I like to run full length to cut down on ferrules and housing multiple piece end cut interference. So you may need a couple extra feet off their bulk housing roll in service.
Superglue an area of cable before you cut and use the correct cutters. The cheap ones won't do it.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.