Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner

WTB Pure V saddle - worth upgrading from?

2K views 9 replies 9 participants last post by  velo99 
#1 ·
So in the past 2 days, I've taken my bike out for a couple of easy-going bike rides along the beach. All flat pavement, but it was with my wife and I was pulling our daughter in a little bike trailer. After about 5-10 minutes or so, I began to notice my rear getting a bit uncomfortable from sitting on the saddle. After 8 miles round trip, my sit bones (well, the soft tissue around them) were pretty sore overall. We went on a shorter 5 mile trip yesterday, and the feeling was pretty much compounded.

The seat that's currently on my bike is a WTB Pure V. I guess my question is whether this is a decent enough saddle, or if there's a reasonable replacement that I should consider swapping it out for. I've looked around the boards and seen a few other models suggested to others like the WTB Rocket V... It looks fairly similar to the Pure V, is it really much of a step upwards at all?

My previous bike had a medieval torture device, er, saddle that I replaced with one suggested by a LBS. I remember it was insanely comfortable, but in the 10 years since I bought it/7 since it was stolen, I've forgotten what kind of seat it was... After poring over Google Image search, I think it may have been a Specialized Body Contour model, or at least very strongly resembled one. I'd love to find another saddle that was as comfortable as that one was... I was more upset about losing that than I was about the rest of the bike, lol. Curse you, bicycle thief!!!

See less See more
#2 ·
Purr Vs are pretty comfortable. It just may not fit you.

Rocket V is similar, but more narrow. It's not an upgrade, just a different sadle.

How much have you been riding lately? Did you just start back up?

Takes a while for your butt to get used to biking again if you've been off. If this is the case, you may be remembered a time when you were used to your saddle and biking more constantly.
I can't tell from your post if your bike was stolen recently or if you've been biking recently or a few years ago.

#3 ·
It's been years since I've biked. My old bike was a Mongoose with a saddle that had just enough padding to be considered a cruel joke. I rode it for a day or two before I couldn't stand it anymore and bought a better saddle. I remember being sore for a few more days (I was pretty bruised from the horrid stock saddle) but feeling an immediate improvement in ride quality from the replacement, and by a week's end, I was back to being totally comfortable. I put it away for the winter, and when I began riding again in the spring, I had none of the discomfort I'd experienced with the stock saddle. Honestly, if I could remember what kind of saddle it was, I'd buy it again without hesitation.

#5 ·
You can probably find an older Specialized Body Geometry on ebay. They are comfortable. As for the Pure V, that is the saddle I have on my mountain bikes and would be more than happy to take it off your hands.

As noted above it may mean some toughening up, but if a saddle doesn't fit and you really hate it, you can replace it and buy padded shorts if you want. I have a couple of mountain bike shorts from Performance that have a separate liner and are baggy and not the spandex road type. I think you can also get a liner to put under your shorts if you want to go that route.

John

#6 ·
Different saddles work differently for different people. Crazy right?

I can't stand any of the WTB saddles I have tried. I pretty much stick to Selle Italia SL, SLS, and SLR for my bikes. Though the Charge Spoon saddle might be my next purchase. My buddy has one on his bike and I love the fit and look of it. And its super cheap.

#7 ·
I also do not like any of the WTB saddles I have tried. I stick with Specialized BG saddles and they have been fine for me. If you can stop in to a Specialized dealer, they can measure you with the "ass-o-meter" (not a joke) and you can get a saddle from them right in the shop. Sizing is really important for a proper fit.

#8 ·
give the saddle a little time. any saddle is going to feel uncomfortable when you aren't used to it. A few weeks of riding should tell you.

If you ever start feeling numbness in your genitals, then try something different ASAP. bruising/soreness is nothing to be concerned about unless it persists even after weeks of regular riding.

#9 ·
Everyone is different, but, for the first several rides after being off the bike for a while you will be sore.

I have a Spec Romin on my road bike that I love, and had a Speed V that I bent the rails on for my mtb. Riding a crappy Forte saddle now that is so-so. I did try a Charge Spoon and absolutely hated it.

The ass-o-meter is a nice way to buy a saddle, though

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.