Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner

New guy with a new toy

499 views 2 replies 2 participants last post by  Thunderfan 
#1 ·
Hello all,
I am new to the site and mountain biking. I was in the process of getting my pilots license and when the physical came around the doctor didn't like the sugars in my urine. They did an A1C test and mine was 11... not good. I have decided to try and beat it with better diet and exercise. Looked at several different exercise programs like running, crossfit, and a few others. Mountain biking has the most appeal to me I think because when I was a kid I rode a BMX and dirt bikes on trails. I am 43 and about 270 which is down from about 320 as my heaviest. I recently purchased a 2015 Giant Talon 4 27.5. I looked at many bikes and was actually planning on spending allot more than I did. Went into a shop and they had some new Talons. I rode it and liked the way it felt. I also felt that I shouldn't spend a couple grand until I found out if it is something I will do long term. Easier to have $500 hanging in the garage than $2000. I have rode it around the area I live a couple times about a 3.5 mile ride each time. I told my wife it looks much easier on youtube. It is my understanding that we are lucky to have real good trails around the area. Would you continue to ride the roads to build stamina or just hit the trails and work it out? I guess worst case is I walk my bike back to the parking lot if I can't finish the trail.

#2 ·
I am 43 and about 270 which is down from about 320 as my heaviest.
I'm same age (44) and have just gotten back into MTB myself after a many year hiatus. I've lost quite a bit of girth in just a couple of months without really changing my diet. Diet is next.

Would you continue to ride the roads to build stamina or just hit the trails and work it out?
The two aren't mutually exclusive. When you can get to the trails, go. When you can't but you've got a little time to ride. Ride. For me, given a choice, I'd rather be riding in the woods than on the street. That's why I have a MTB. :) Plus, there are no drivers texting and driving in the woods.

I guess worst case is I walk my bike back to the parking lot if I can't finish the trail.
No shame in walking, so long as you're going out and getting better. When I started back, I had one hill that kicked my butt. When I finally could climb it, it was a banner day. When you do stop/walk, take the time to look around and enjoy being outside in nature.

#3 ·
I'm same age (44) and have just gotten back into MTB myself after a many year hiatus. I've lost quite a bit of girth in just a couple of months without really changing my diet. Diet is next.

The two aren't mutually exclusive. When you can get to the trails, go. When you can't but you've got a little time to ride. Ride. For me, given a choice, I'd rather be riding in the woods than on the street. That's why I have a MTB. :) Plus, there are no drivers texting and driving in the woods.

No shame in walking, so long as you're going out and getting better. When I started back, I had one hill that kicked my butt. When I finally could climb it, it was a banner day. When you do stop/walk, take the time to look around and enjoy being outside in nature.
I am doing the same thing. Working on exercise first and tackling the diet slowly. I tried completely changing my diet overnight and found this to be very difficult. We went to the store last night and while checking out noticed we had more fruits and veggies than chips and snack cakes.
I love being in the outdoors and take time to enjoy it for sure. I go hunting a bunch and tell my wife I am going to church because even if I don't get anything just being in the woods is relaxing and stress relieving.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.