Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner

Why do pros turn the front wheel during jumps?

27K views 29 replies 19 participants last post by  mimi1885 
#1 ·
Is it only for show or is there actually some real reason behind it?

#10 ·
This is right. I'm a snowboard coach, and when teaching kids how to go off jumps you always emphasize to do SOMETHING in the air. It helps your body keep control, instead of potentially locking up. So, do a nose/tail poke, shifty the board 45 degress, anything to get your body doing something - even simple - helps maintain control better than just straight airs.

#5 ·
I can only say why I do it, but I'd guess it's the same for everyone (I'm not pro, but I've been riding since I was a kid, I'm now 42, and I teach kids to jump as a side gig).

reason 1 (less common): control of the bike in the air (it pays to learn how to bunnyhop). the ability to move your bike around while in midair can save you from leaking some blood upon landing. disclaimer: not all the time.

reason 2 (more common): it looks stylie. imho, there's nothing much sicker than a fully clicked turndown, so choose it if you can! I can't :( but I'll still whip and table and cross up like an old skool bob haro eddie fiola fan.

the simple answer: it's for both form and function. more often form.

#6 ·
Try it. Seriously. When I take off with the intention of doing a handlebar turn, it sort of subconsciously makes my body get into a "known/safe" take-off position. If I do nothing, things tend to get ugly and sloppy. Even doing a handlebar turn off of a curb seems to be "radder" than doing nothing. I consider it to be a jumping technique that tricks my body into taking the jump better. Maybe it might work in a similar way for you too, maybe even turning you into a "non-jumper/hucker" into a jumper/hucker enthusiast, if you aren't one already.

#15 ·
Makes sense, never heard that before.

So, do a nose/tail poke, shifty the board 45 degrees, anything to get your body doing something - even simple - helps maintain control better than just straight airs.
Sounds right. I tend to get stiff and brace for impact, which is not very helpful. For some reason table-tops and humps are not too bad as they have a natural curved flow to them. You just follow the invisible path in the air.

Drops from flat I find hard. You have to list the bike into a place it isn't naturally inclined to go, I'm not very good at that.

#9 ·
I'm no expert, but have jumped on skis, bikes (inc road bikes) and motos (road and dirt). The centre of gravity changes in the air, especially with imperfect take-offs, jumps that require turns and terrain changes in the landing area etc. To an extent the front end of the machine has to be used during a jump to control the back end and that can include up, down, left, right or a combination of movements. So long as the front lands pointing the right direction, things should work out. Beyond that, it's all for fun I guess....

EpicTV Video: Flying Sideways: Whip-Off World Champs | Crankworx Whistler 2014 | EpicTV

#14 ·
Dropping off a flat is easy, but you should practice on curbs and smaller things first. You have to pedal forward and pop the front wheel up so that it's straight as you roll off with the back wheel. Learning on curbs is easier because you're not gonna fall if you don't get it.

Sent from my 831C using Tapatalk

#16 ·
Because doing nothing while airborne is asking for a lot of trouble, and could send you into a world of hurts. Dead sailor is a big no no:nono: Spinning, turning, leaning keeps you relax and gives you better sense of timing.

Most important it keeps you in operate at the subconscious level, so you are not thinking about what you are about to do, calculating speed, wind, altitude, temperature, your body position in the air and where it needs to be, angle of take off, and landing, your heart rate and physical condition before landing. Try it the next time you are landing on the foam pit.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.