Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner

Hummmmmmmmm Well a 2004 Specialized Rock Hopper Pro $215.00

7K views 12 replies 7 participants last post by  Ronald Brown 
#1 ·
:madman::confused: I knew something like this always does ! A 2004 Specialized Rock Hopper ( Pro ) $215.00 ! Shows up on Craigslist ! ! ! Going to look it over Real Careful / ride it / talk to the guy ! It's a large frame ? Whatever that means : did not give me a frame height # , so I will lower the seat / take it from there ! If I can ride it comfortably / I will be really tempted to buy it instead of The Kona ? Any thoughts ? Any help would be Great / super appreciated ! ! ! :))) You guys have been great ! I know there both about the same price wise but I don't know what else ? Except I do know reg. Spec. Rock Hopper's somewhat / and with the Hayes Hydr. Disc Brake mounting bracket issue with The Kona ! I think I might be happier with the Spec. Rock Hopper ( Pro ) I could always put a sweet Hydraulic Disc Brake Setup on her ! :)))

#2 ·
Large is probably a 19 or 21. If it is a 21, you better be tall.

Here is my take on it...

If you can't just buy the bike and ride it as is and enjoy it without upgrading it, or at least having to rebuild something on it, your $215 will turn into $500-$600 before you know it.

The key to used bikes is to get one that doesn't need work. Just brake pads and a chain and hopefully it has been sitting in someone's garage most of the time. If it has the original tires that have little wear, but are cracked from age, it may be worth it. But you may still have to rebuild the fork.

John

#7 ·
That's a pretty old bike... I don't know what kona you're talking about, but if your budget is in the 200 range, you should factor in stuff like a cassette and a chain, maybe tires or other things that are bound to be worn.. Old bikes can be money pits. I would try to bring someone who knows what they are looking at... And you cant just lower the seat if the frame is too big, you'll just never be comfortable.

Sent from my 831C using Tapatalk

#11 ·
Thx guys !:))) It's a Kona Muni - Mula , got pics of the Hyd.Disc Brakes / Mounting brackets and they are IS Thank God ! :))) Also rode The Spec. R. Hopp. Pro last night and yes it's a 21 inch frame but the way the TB is slanted down I fit real well ! So I am still in a quandary about which 26 Hardtail to buy ! The Kona is in a lot better shape ! It's a little more cash but with The Hayes Hydro. Disc Brakes it is worth it ! I will talk either one down though on their prices ! Thanks again guys / You all are great ! :)))

#12 ·
Look for something that doesn't feel like it's pulling you forward off the saddle, doesn't feel cramped, and doesn't make you dump a lot of weight on your hands.

Don't drag your feet. At least in other cities, reasonably-priced bikes on CL go fast.

Good luck!

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.