Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner

Manitou or Fox

2K views 3 replies 3 participants last post by  TexasXC 
#1 · (Edited)
I have the choice between 2 forks, the 2014 Manitou R7 Pro for which I can get for $260 (Manitou R7 Pro Disc Fork 100mm Black White | eBay) or a 2011 Fox 32 Float RLC FIT for $350. Fox 32 Float 26 RLC FIT 100mm 1 1/8 Fork | MTB
The Fox is an amesome deal, but is nearly $100 more expensive and $350 is about my limit for how high I can go.
I've heard great things about the ABS+ damper but Fox is known for their reliability and plushness.
I don't want to go with Suntour, and I've explored other options like the X-fusion Velvet but I can't find any compatible forks that are a reasonable price.
There's also another prossible problem, and that is what the steering tube length is on the Fox... I measured my stack and I would only be able to use the 180mm steering tube if I removed all spacers and let the stem rest above the headset cup. I'm not sure how this would feel or if I should let the stem touch the headset.

#2 ·
U need to buy one with a steerer log enough for u to work with. Manitou forks are nice and solid forks. Yet to see it said they are less reliable and I just spent 450 on a set of their forks without thinking twice. Fox info is partially because so many more bikes have fox over manitou. Dont think one will be better than the other except weight.

But that steerer issue is the biggest one u need to worry about.
Sent from my Nokia Stupid Phone using Tapatalk

#3 ·
Fox from 2011 is known for their stiction and "inability to get full travel". They're designed more for racing, rather than for casuals, so its tune is good about traction and control, but not so much on comfort and squishiness/plushness. Recent models address stiction a bit better, reducing the friction in the seals/wipers and using a new coating on the stanchion, and have a less progressive air spring stock (adjustable with Float fluid or volume spacers). Fox air forks typically have more stanchion exposed than rated travel, which causes misunderstandings about getting full travel. Also, they use a coil negative spring that can affect total perceived length (AKA Axle to crown height from varying the amount of exposed stanchion) depending on how much pressure you pump the spring up to, with higher pressure (heavier riders) lengthening the fork more. Just saying, so you know what you are getting. If you don't mind having your arms rattling a bit more over bumps if it means you can go faster in more control, over trying to make it feel like your riding over marshmellows... I like to go fast, so I preferred Fox over a softer fork I had, which felt squirmy in comparison, as if my tire was going flat and the ground were soft sand instead of hardpacked dirt.

#4 ·
I'm used to having rough suspension (currently on an XCM) and control is what I'm looking for so this post really made go in favor of the Fox.
However, the steerer tube length issue is still something that needs to be adressed. I'll go ahead and take off the headset spacers and let the stem rest on the cup and determine whether its comfortable or not...

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.