Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner

Get a Kona or not get a Kona ?

3K views 23 replies 10 participants last post by  elliott436 
#1 ·
Hi , this is Ron from Bellingham Wa. I am a newbie here / and to Mountain Biking . World headquarters for Kona is 20 min. Down the freeway from me . So good / bad / any thoughts at all ? Thank You in advance ! I ride 70 street 30 trails for exercise / fun

#3 ·
I like my Kona, but it's one of the expensive ones. I know we have a couple dealers here. Jack's springs to mind.

I'm too selfish a person to buy a bike just because they're designed locally. So I'd still be looking at Trek and Specialized. (Kulshan Cycles and Fairhaven Bike.) We also have a mountain-emphasis shop, Fanatik, but I've actually never been there.

Budget's important too. At the bottom of the market, everybody's bikes have the same crappy components but some have bolt-upright geometry and some are shaped like XC bikes. In the middle of the market, everybody's XC hardtails are pretty much the same but lately there are some slacker and longer-travel hardtails going on, so you can make some choices that have a real impact on the flavor of your bike. All full-suspension frames are not created equal. And at the top of the market, some companies are doing stuff with carbon hardtails that some of the posters here swear by. I haven't got the saddle time to comment.

Point being, if you like Kona, make sure to try some. But don't limit yourself. I'd have gone with a Camber if I didn't like the Hei Hei I demoed, even though I also have an ulterior motive to like Kona.

#5 ·
I love my Kona Jake, fitted with some Kenda Happy Medium tires it can do just about anything. This bike sees mostly pavement duty, some trails and occasional singletrack when I'm feeling froggy. My MTB is also a Kona, a Kahuna that I bought last month and I don't have any complaints so far.

#7 ·
Thank You all ! :))) I am always concerned with ( The Budget ) ! ! Lol So I have never bought a New MTB . I have heard that a decent Kona is worthy of the kind of riding I do . I finally found a Kona Muni - Mula on Craigslist Under $300.00 with Hayes Hydraulic Brakes on her ! Is that a good price ? It's well taken care off ! Only ridden about 8 times in the last 10 yrs. Thank You again

#9 ·
Can you post a link? Are there pictures of the disc brake calipers?

My concern is that Hayes had a bizarro mount for a few years, in the date range that the bike's age would put it in. I'm not saying that bike has that weird mount. But it's possible, and it would affect my purchasing decision, if I was considering it.

#14 ·
I don't know the disc standards by name. But I'll know it if I see it.

If you want to put a different brake on and it is the weird mount, I think you're SOL. But I'm too lazy to research it myself. Just saying it's something to be sure about.

If you think you're going to throw another part at the bike, maybe wait until you spot something a little better. It's a beautiful time of year and you're probably at your strongest for the season. Go ride one of your others. :)

#16 ·
Hope company has ( The Best ) adapters quote n quote , there're are some other options out there also like A2Z and others . Now that I have done 3 hours of research ! Thank You internet ! I feel like an expert ! Lol but it does look like you can upgrade to bigger / better / new parts ! Even Hayes if your so inclined ! :)))

#20 ·
I have a Kona Tanuki Deluxe, which was one of their lead-in full suspension models in 2013.

It's a superb bike, and l have done over 1,000 miles on it this year.

I think Kona has a certain "something" it feels like somebody actually rode the bike during development, unlike my previous bike which felt like it was born entirely from a computer screen.

The most important thing, whatever brand you buy, is to get the right frame size and bike fit.

I always went for 15" or 16" frames, as l am fairly small, but this time the bike shop fitted me with a bike, and l ended up with a 17".

The frame is perfect for me, l have never looked back.

#21 ·
Thank You all ! :))) I got The Kona : Muni / Mula It's a 2004 but it's only been on the trail 8 times in ten years / no roads . So anyway I paid $200.00 for it ! It's got The IS mounts for The Hayes Hydraulic Disc Brakes new front tire / rim ! Great bike / love it / So light ! I am putting all my goodies on it that fit , / she's a 27 speed / 26 inch wheels / tires .

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.