Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner

Best current value bike for petite people.

611 views 2 replies 3 participants last post by  falconpunch79 
#1 ·
I've gotten into mountain biking this summer and when my wife comes back from living abroad for work in 6 weeks, I'd like her to be able to join me so I was starting to look at bikes for her.

The problem: She's fairly small, and the sub 1000 current value champions all seem to be 29 inch bikes (Airborne, Marin, etc.). Are these still what someone would recommend for someone who is 5'3" 110, and not particularly strong or vigorous in body English (an assumption I make based on her road bike riding/skiing).

So are there any quality low end 26 still out there that equal the Airborne or Marin? Or possibly 27.5, but I haven't seen any of those.

I'm not opposed to going used, but she's less tolerant of fussing with her gear than I am, so I want to make sure that her bike would work perfectly at the get go.

Thanks!

#2 ·
The 15" 2013 Marin Bobcat on ebay(only size left) at 697 is a great buy because of the Raidon air fork at that price point. It probably weighs 28lbs. You would have to check out the geo to see how the fit worked based on her height and inseam.
You can spend more and get a much lighter bike. Her strength and weight/height could certainly benefit from that option.
Riding some different bikes is a good first step. Try some Trek models. They have good geo and a range of sizes.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.