Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner

Tire size vs. Tube size

1K views 7 replies 6 participants last post by  mimi1885 
#1 ·
I think I already know the answer for this, but I just wanted to double check. Bluesky has a buy one, get one on 29" Continental Mountain King II's going right now, and I picked up two 2.4's. I am running a Specialized Camber Comp that has 2.2 on the front, 2.1 on the rear. I searched this and got a lot of people saying run 26" tires, for weight savings. But yeah, back to the question.

I'm not going to run tubeless right now. So haters can hate, just to squash that now. If my tube size is up to 2.2 or so, will it harm anything to just stuff them inside these new rubbers and go? Or should I get the appropriate (heavier) tubes for the 2.4 size?

#6 ·
The 26 are a little trickier to install in a 29. They stretch out thin and are a bit lighter, so it's prob not too much diff than getting a "superlight" 29er tube once it's stuffed in and inflated. Once you know the trick to installing them, you shouldn't have a problem only stocking 1 tube size if you have bikes in multiple wheel sizes.

Going the other way, 29er in 26, can make it seem your wheel is out of true, when what it does is sometimes make your tire kind of wobbly/not straight. Did this on my front wheel when I overjumped a table and didn't have enough runway for the next, and rode it like that for a month or so. Didn't ride any worse, but every time I looked at my front tire, I was reminded of it.

#7 ·
Sounds like when I switch tires I'm going to give the 26"er a try. These are just intermediate tires for the end of the season, I hear they don't last long since they aren't the German built brand, but I'm fine with that. Gets me into 2.4's to practice with over fall and when spring hits next year, I'll switch if these don't last.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.