Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner

Singlespeed Grips

4K views 43 replies 35 participants last post by  randyharris 
#1 ·
Just curious what everyone uses. I seem to be getting pain in my fingers and thumb (I'm only 28) after an hour or so in the saddle. Switched from rigid to front shock and that does not help either.

#2 ·
I'm using ESI Extra Chunky's on mine (rigid). Although I've only had my ss for like a week so I don't have much experience to share lol. I have been running the regular Chunky's on my other bikes for years and love them. Of course I haven't used any other grips in like 5 years so I am a little biased. Once I find something I like I stick with it.

#11 ·
make sure the brake levers are set so your wrist is pretty straight with fingers on the levers.
For me too much glove will interfere, love lock ons, and thicker grippy grip like odi rogue, or on an uncrowded ss cockpit shimano pro grips at a length of 145mm are nice too. Not as thick but plenty grippy
Have tried ergons and they're not as squishy as others. the wing thingy made me lean more to feel i had a good grip over rough stuff, instead of holding around the bar as normal. just got in my way and caused problems where there was none. After many adjustments and trying to get used to them they came off. imo anything more wing than their ge1 or ga1 is ng for mtbing, and they're not as grippy as others.
If the bike fit is good keep your elbows bent, stay light on the saddle, spend time on pedals, maybe core exercise.

#13 ·
Echo everybody on ESI's. They don't move. At all. Mine have gotten dicey once or twice in super wet/bad conditions with hand slippage. Their different sizes really are different. I've run all three sizes, and the super chunky size are the first grip that I've thought might be too big/thick for my large hands.

Again, check bike fit. Hand numbness might be coming from somewhere else. They're love or hate, but if nothing else works, try the Egrons. Not for everybody, but can be perfect. My wife struggled with similar pains, and Ergons/Specialized BG Fit gloves did the trick for her.

#18 · (Edited)
Oury Mountain grips on all my bikes (rigis SS, hardtail SS, and geared fully), with Fox Ranger or Specialized BG gloves (no padding, just thin leather palms).

I like the Oury grips for their large diameter, not the thick rubber, as I have large hands. More padding isn't necessarily better. I tried gel-padded gloves and hated them.

I forgot to mention - carbon low-rise bars on all my bikes.

JMJ

G
#19 ·
Oury Mountain grips on all my bikes (rigis SS, hardtail SS, and geared fully), with Fox Ranger or Specialized BG gloves (no padding, just thin leather palms).

I like the Oury grips for their large diameter, not the thick rubber, as I have large hands. More padding isn't necessarily better. I tried gel-padded gloves and hated them.

JMJ
+1 on the combo. I've tried several gel grips and gloves in various combinations but the Oury with a thin glove seems best. If the grip diameter is too thick you can always shave down the underside of the grip.

#21 ·
ESI chunky was my cure at first. Then still experienced numbness. Switched to a 20/20 carbon bar and that combo is great. All day with no numbness on my rigid SS. I have never liked any kind of gel gloves or molded palms. Plain leather palmed gloves have been best for me.

Sent from my hammock

#24 ·
Chunkies-Tried twice (reg, extra) hated them, never slipped when installed
Oury's-On all my bikes until...
Ergons-I can't ride without them (SS & FS). Rode a demo bike (Pivot 429c) with reg grips, couldn't continue the demo.

Disclaimer-I had major surgery on my left hand years ago and could be a factor. 45 y/o by the way.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.