Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner

Need help picking between a couple craigslist bikes

836 views 5 replies 5 participants last post by  xFLYNNx 
#1 ·
Both bikes are a good fit, I'll be family pavement biking 50% and trails the other 50.

The money isn't the problem, but I want the best bang for buck purchase.

The 1st is down to 750, wanted a high 900... blue book on "LIKE NEW" is $600, I'm shooting for 650-700, og msrp was 1250. I'm leary about the "250, LIKE NEW, upgrades on the brakes and grips". Makes me think the bike has been ridden hard for the last 2-3 seasons.

2011 Spec Rockhopper Expert. Size Med 17.5. Great shape. 250 miles. Maintenance and tuning done by LBS. Great bike just need a size large hardtail. All components stock for the Expert trim package except upgrades to Shimano XT brakes and brand new Odi grips. Like new bike

The 2nd one, is firm at 450 on a 650 bike, I've spoken to the seller and believe he's babied it, he's a heavy road biker... who would rather inline and or ride a road bike. Claiming 25 miles, few light scratches.

Have a 2013 Specialized HardRock Sport mountain bike. Bike has a 17.5" frame and 29" tires. Bike is all stock except for the bag and pump add ons. Bike has small scratches from normal riding. Bike has approx 25 miles on trail. Bought new for $650+ tax....plus approx $60 in add ons.

So, it's obvious which was the better bike new, but would it be worth it to pick up a 3 yr old Rockhopper Expert over a babied 1 yr old Hardrock Sport Disc.

What would you do in this newbs shoes!?

See less See more
#2 ·
Someone can correct me if I'm wrong, but I was in a similar situation a few weeks ago deciding between a 2012 rockhopper 29er, 2013 Hardrock 29er, and these are the things I found out about:

The Rockhopper will have better components, and will have an M4 frame (stronger and lighter than the A1 frame that the hardrock will have) The rockhopper should have a better front fork (although still entry level quality)

If both bikes were in good condition, I would choose the rockhopper.
(oh and I don't know where your located, but I paid $550CAD for my 2012 rockhopper 29er)

#4 ·
Condition would of course play into it, but all things being equal, I'd lean toward the 'hopper, for the same general reasons jcab mentioned.

Send the guy the link to the BB and hit him with an offer and see what happens. XT brakes are a good solid upgrade, so take that into account too. That said, there's nothing at all wrong with a good deal on a Hardrock either for starting out with, but if you do end up getting more into riding, the Rockhopper will give you a better platform for upgrading. The extra couple hundred you spend on it now will save you that in a few months when you want to upgrade the fork on the Hardrock. As they say, pay me now, or pay me later... ;)

#5 ·
I think the whole "ridden hard" thing on bikes is blown way out of proportion. They aren't women or motorcycles, and there are plenty of 20 year old bikes that have been "ridden hard" the entire time without much done to them. If the frame isn't cracked, tires aren't worn, brake pads are decent, and fork seals aren't blown, your looking at throwing a $15 chain and cables (stuff some guys do every season) on it to put it in "like new" condition.

I'd say it comes down to the fork as that is the most crucial and expensive part of a bike. If the rockhopper has a good fork go for it. If it is a base level fork go for the hardrock and throw a $300 fork on it, you will be happier for the same price.

#6 ·
Ended up getting the hopper for 700. Was expecting the worse prior to seeing it. Guy had a fsr as his primary and felt the 17.5 frame of the hopper was to small so he wasn't riding the hopper. It has one scuff and one 1/4" scratch on it... I took it for a hot lap around the neighborhood and quickly paid him and left.

I'm really excited about the purchase and after not getting the price on a few other bikes where I wanted them and feeling as though I missed out on a deal or 3, I'm happy I snatched this one up 5 hours after it was posted, specially in the dfw populated market this time of the year.

Oh yea, the forks are rock shox toro tk sl eb1888.

Will post pics later.

Thanks to those who posted advice.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.