Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner

New replacement derailleur hanger out of alignment out of the box? Is this common?

1K views 2 replies 3 participants last post by  DHgnaR 
#1 ·
Last night I finally decided to adjust my rear derailleur after installing a new derailleur hanger assuming my poor shifts were the cause of a bent hanger. 20 minutes later I was still not able to get it perfect. Similar issues to the previous hanger but within a broader gear range, worse than with the old hanger! I was getting pissed as I've done this too many times to count.

I made sure the mounting surface between the swing arm and hanger were clean & tight. Rear wheel was on straight & tightened. Gears & chain were cleaned & lubed. Cable & housing only had a few rides on em...

By chance I found a derailleur hanger tool (park dag-2 tool) on CL and picked it up on a hunch. I've honestly never really heard about this tool, after 10 years of riding I would have assumed I would have heard about it...

Anyway, to make a long story less so, did some research, got the tool mounted & started checking alignment hoping it was off... It sure was. Shifting like a champ again.

Has anyone else had a similar experience with a new hanger needing an alignment from the start?

#2 ·
That's not uncommon really. There can be a slight variance in the hanger manufacture or the mount on the frame can be slightly off as well. Most of the time they're dead on but occasionally it takes some extra work to align the hanger with the frame.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.