Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner

SHUTTLERS: Are you happy with current tie down options?

1K views 10 replies 6 participants last post by  man w/ one hand 
#1 ·
Hey all. There has been some discussion locally about a specifically designed tie down for shuttling of the bikes. The aim is to simplify the process when driving to a new spot, the bike park or traveling as well.

The idea is to work at securing your rides either in a rack in the bed of your truck, or secure them when hanging over the tailgate (if anyone does that), but quickly (meaning more shuttles) and simply.

So who is happy with the current, general purpose hardware store purchased tie downs, and who would like to see a specially designed piece that would enable quicker changeovers and more secure strapping?

What are most doing and is a strap like this of interest to anyone?

#2 ·
How much quicker?
How much more secure?
No problems or headaches with the variety of tie down options from auto supply stores and Home Depot.
Securing bikes upright in the bed of a pickup is easy and takes less than a minute per bike.
Securing different sized bikes and different shaped frames when they are hanging over the tailgate takes a bit more time, but still no problem with the variety of tiedowns currently available.

#4 ·
I just don't think you need to tie them down if you are shuttling, but they do need to be put in properly. I will sometimes time them down on a long trip, but when shuttling, its a waste of time IMO

#5 ·
I like my Dakine pad...that said, the new straps are "a step in the right direction. The constant bouncing will cut into th pad. IMO it needs rubber cups to set each bike in this will/ would help in all kinds'a ways.

#9 ·
This is our same situation. When mucking about with 4+ bikes, wrapping around each frame takes time in order to make sure they are secure. The idea is to have something that will not require the strap to be removed at all, once the initial load for the day, afternoon, evening, is complete. Obviously a new piece is required in order to do this.

The whole point of this post is to see from riders like you guys, whether you see a need for it, or are totally happy with the current setups-no constructive opinion is invalid. Just like some old guy wants the leather seats with seat warmers in his car to warm his boney ass, some other old fella may think it's ridiculous and unnecessary. I'm just trying to see if there is a general consensus that current straps could indeed be better.

#10 ·
no, just a dirt road with quite a few washboard sections.

I can see how on very rough dirt roads it may be an issue, but I still don't ever recall being worried about it in my years and years of shuttling all over the West. I think it is about putting them in properly and maybe a snug fit so that they don't move around.

#11 ·
This is what a Dakine pad looks like after yrs of use. If you look at th top of the pic you'll see the end of a Nevy cut up to go under the part of the pad that is at th top of the tailgate. I use it to keep my Nomad from getting beat up even more.

(Pad is rotated to use the area not torn all to hell).

Attachments

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.