Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner

Older rider advice on new DH bike...please

3K views 27 replies 16 participants last post by  Gemini2k05 
#1 ·
G'day Blokes and Blokettes,

Looking for advice on a DH bike please.

Just to put you in the piccie...

Have been into DH for 5-6 years. Just had 2 years off (busted ankle twice doing dh)

Previous DH bikes, in order: 2005 stinky, 2007 astrix huckster and 2008 Judge WC replica (with the floating brake attachment)

OK, i can pony up for around $3-4000 - and would be looking to take advantage of the 2nd hand market. Don't really want anything older than 09/10 - newer the better.

This is for Aussie DH only - there is nothing i ride that would be considered super steep or wide open fast - and do like a bike that turns quick but is smooth in the rough snotty stuff we often have on the local Brisbane (Aussie mate!) tracks.

I'm not a big jumper (scared of heights?) - but on a good day i'll hit most of whats available. I do like flat stick through rocky bumpy tracks and popping the small to medium drops.

Bikes i like the look of (and good reviews) include Transition Blindside, Morewood Izimu and Banshee Legend Mk2.

I know its impossible for you to tell me 'the right bike for me' - but if there are any grey headed old goats (or nannies) out there who are in the same class - your advice and suggestions would be appreciated.

Cheer,

See less See more
#2 ·
Don't know what you mean by older and grey headed.
I've seen 50+ year old riders who can still kill it and 20 somethings that can barely get down the hill.
If you like DH-whether it's bike park or shuttle runs, you'll find a HUGE difference in performance and stability in just about every modern DH bike out there compared to what you rode in the past.
Current trend is low and slack-everything is more stable at speed and turns like it's on rails.
Suspension has come a LONG way in the past few years as well.
I've been riding DH bikes since the 90's.
The current crop of slack head angle and low bottom bracket machines with tuned suspension are a whole different experience than what you are used to.
Of the bikes you mentioned as purchase options, the Banshee Legend absolutely kills it on everything from bike park jump trails to fall line skid fests. Super durable frame + easy to service bearings and it doesn't do anything weird in the air or in turns. Braking and turning are super predictable.
Just get a 2011/2012/2013 used bike and dial it in to your personal tastes would be my advice.
Save some money up front because the bike purchase price is just the price of admission.
Dial in the cockpit, brakes, suspension, tire to your preferences and you'll be good to go within your budget.
No idea what's going on in Australia, but 2011/2012 Legends in full high end race spec can be had for $2500 USD on the used market in the states.

#7 ·
I'm responding as an older Blokette/nannie :)

My hubby rides a Transition 250 and I ride Transition Syren. We both ride local intermediate advance DH trails. We've also taken the bikes to Mont Ste Anne and have had no difficulty with the terrain (rocky flow). These single crowns best suit tight steep gnar, jump and solidly land small to medium drops.

#9 ·
Demo 8
Very affordable (dime a dozen here in US)
light-ish
kind of good at all aspects of DH, jumps well if set up right, shorter chain stays so it turns very well, decent in the rough stuff, but probably not a true "plow" bike

#10 ·
See if you can demo or rent any of the bikes before you commit a decent pile of cash to it. None of the bikes you mentioned have any bad points - but, there may be one that has more good points for you. I demo'd probably 6 or 7 bikes before going with a Rocky Mountain Flatline pro. It felt like the bike that fit me (despite the name)...

#26 · (Edited)
If you don't have anything super steep or wide open fast, and don't jump, why are you looking for a DH bike. You can do most of those things on an aggressive AM/Enduro rig.

I'd look at something more along the lines of a Yeti SB66 or Trek Scratch/Slash with coil rear shock and 180mm Van up front. No sense in buying a DH bike if you don't absolutely need it.

#28 ·
If you don't have anything super steep or wide open fast, and don't jump, why are you looking for a DH bike. You can do most of those things on an aggressive AM/Enduro rig.

I'd look at something more along the lines of a Yeti SB88 or Trek Scratch/Slash with coil rear shock and 180mm Van up front. No sense in buying a DH bike if you absolutely need it.
Not bad advice. A lot of mini-DH or burly all mountain bikes these days would be a good idea. Something worth testing at least.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.