Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner

Difference b/w DH, Fr, & Grav?

836 views 3 replies 4 participants last post by  pizon 
#1 ·
Just a quick question, whats the diff. b/w downhill, freeride, and gravity bikes? (I saw "gravity" listed on giant's website, wondered)

#2 ·
Downhill mountain bikibg: The name pretty much says it all,these bikes are meant to be ridden in one direction -- downhill. Downhill mountain biking is especially popular as an off-season activity at ski resorts. The lift whisks you and your bike to the top of the mountain, you let gravity and a lot of moxie take you back down.

Freeriding is something of a mix between downhill and cross-country. Freeriders like the more adventurous aspects of downhill, but would rather not have to drive to a ski resort. So, after dropping down the hill and its associated jumps and obstacles, they need to get back to the top on their own power.

#3 ·
I do hate defining everything to death (just look at all the 'AM vs Trail' threads that go absolutely nowhere), but this one is a bit more clear in my mind. When Giant puts Gravity on their website, it basically means that the bikes listed under that category are meant to go down rather than up. I'd say that it covers both freeride and DH. And as for the differences between DH and FR, I'd say that DH is 'get me to the bottom as fast as possible' (think timed race runs), and FR leans more toward 'I'm going to hit all the jumps and drops on the way down.' Just my opinion.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.