Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner

Maxxis Minion DHF 3C in the front with crappy tires in the rear?

4K views 15 replies 10 participants last post by  Extremo 
#1 ·
I'm running a crappy Kenda Nevengal in the rear and a crappy Kenda Blue Groove up front (came stock on the bike) and I want to switch to Maxxis Minion DHF front and rear to increase traction.

I was thinking about running a 3C in the front and a 60A in the rear, but I was wondering if my traction would still improve if I just went to the Minion in front and ran the Kenda's out back until I wore them out? Or should I upgrade both front and rear?

#7 ·
This! And do the Peaty cut for the Nev on the rear for better corner bite. Doesn't really matter much what you use for a rear when you run a DHF up front.

Have FUN!

G MAN

#4 ·
Yeah, the Kenda's still have a lot of life on them...prob 75% tread, they just don't hook up well in corners. I'm all over the place. I've read some pretty bad reviews on them so I'm ready to ditch them asap...and so many people recommend upgrades to DHF's.

Thanks Norman, I'll start with the DHF's up front and see how much of a difference it makes.

#6 ·
The new Kendra Nevengals are good tires. That said they are not as good as Maxxis DHF. Run the Minion DHF in front and the Nevengal in the rear. I ran a Minion DHF front 42 and it lasted the whole year fro me. If I ran Minion DHF 42 front as a rear tire; it would have lasted a few weekends.

#11 ·
If you can afford a new rear tire too, I'd recommend you replace the nevegal with a High Roller II in 60 compound (maxxpro).

Not a fan of the Nevegals in general, although they work for some people.
Yeah, I def can, I'd just hate to throw away a tire with so much life left on it. But these things ride so poorly that it looks like that'll be the only way to go.

I guess the question is now whether to go with the High Roller II's or DH 60a's in the rear?

#12 ·
I would prefer the HRII but the regular ones are fine because I can usually get them cheap on sale. Definitely not as picky on the rear tire, but still hate Kendas. For the exact reason you found out. I tried them a couple times when I started riding because they were cheap, but turns out they are always cheap and just suck. Worst tires I have ever ridden.

#16 ·
I run a Minion Supertacky 2.35 in the front and a near bald Schwalbe Table Top in the back, great fun and good for my skills having a really grippy front tire, means I use the front brake more and drift about on the rear.

Waiting for Maxxis to get some tubless/tr Minions sorted.
Yeah that's what I"m saying. I only ride park so I don't mind drifting in corners as long as the front bites. I've seen guys at Highland running DH tires and a Holy Roller in the rear. I'm assuming because it rolls faster in the jump lines.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.